adding water to wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol noodler

Reaction score
if three gallons of water were added to three gallons of drained wort would it have a huge impact on the amount of alcohol? i don't have a big enough kettle is why-- if it does could multiple pounds of corn sugar be added without extreme taste difference? much thanks cats-- :mug:

recipe would help.

Were you making a 5-6 gallon batch with a partial boil, or just watering down a 3 gallon batch?

What is your SG before and after you watered it down?

If you were making from a kit for a 5 gallon batch, boiled all your ingredients in a smaller pot, and just added water to make up volume, you should be fine,

adding 3 gallons of water to 3 gallons of wort will cut the gravity in half, and cut the alcohol in half, just about. everything deathweed said is legit. be more specific about your recipe. like he said, it sounds to me like you were making a kit from extract, which means you're *usually* suppose to add water at the end. we'll be able to help more if you provide more details.

oh yeah doin all grain, but only have a three-gallon kettle.. so i suppose gravity is halved.. drained three gallons from the mash tun, boiled it etc, then added three gallons regular waterto the carboy. hmmm,, so would thesugar be any good?

recipe on this one is about twelve pounds two-row and three chocolate malt.
yeah, i would figure the sugar wouldn't make for the best of beers, but hey..
how would it affect the taste on a batch with these kinds of basic materials if say five pounds extra sugar were added?

Back