Adding RO water during/after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
My efficiency on a Dry Irish Stout was a little too good and I ended up with a preboil gravity of 1.044, which is actually my target OG! I'll need to dilute it with about 1.25 gallons of water to bring it back down to where it belongs.

I wouldn't be able to add it until during or after fermentation (system is disconnected and I'm short on time). Just wondering if RO is "pure" enough to not worry about infection with a 1.25 gallon water addition. Can I use RO water for this without boiling or reconstituting with my brewing salts?

Thanks

Last edited:
You can probably dilute it down with no issues but it seems like you'd just be introducing opportunities for things to get screwed up, for questionable benefit.

I guess my point is, it's homebrew... who cares if you miss your target? Just roll with what you have and if you want lower gravity adjust the recipe/process next time to compensate.

I’ve diluted with RO water after the boil just before pitching. I used a sanitized pitcher but non-boiled water out of my RO system. There’s some risk, but mine have been fine.

Isn’t this what we all did when we started Extract Brewing?? Adding top-off water after the boil.

I would have no problems adding RO water at the start of fermentation. But it looks like you are planning to add the water post or during fermentation. If this is the case then I would bring that water up to a simmer and then chill it before adding.

Do you keg or bottle condition? If you keg you can add the hot water to your keg and then chill it in your keezer. If you bottle condition this will be your sugar water addition and you may not have to chill it that much if you cold crash your beer.

My efficiency on a Dry Irish Stout was a little too good and I ended up with a preboil gravity of 1.044, which is actually my target OG! I'll need to dilute it with about 1.25 gallons of water to bring it back down to where it belongs.

I wouldn't be able to add it until during or after fermentation (system is disconnected and I'm short on time). Just wondering if RO is "pure" enough to not worry about infection with a 1.25 gallon water addition. Can I use RO water for this without boiling or reconstituting with my brewing salts?

Thanks
What was your O G? There's no reason a dry Irish stout can't be a bit stronger.

Thanks everyone! I will leave it as-is. The OG was 1.052. It'll be called an export stout, and that'll be just fine.

I keg. If it tastes too bold, I can dilute down with boiled RO, but I think it'll be OK.

Sometimes I get so hung up on the BJCP guidelines that I forget we're homebrewers and we'll often be off by a few points in either direction--sometimes more. Also I'm trying to keep in mind that commercial examples occasionally breach BJCP guidelines (I'm pretty sure the Westmalle Tripel is outside the guidelines on OG/ABV by 15% on both, yet... they... created the tripel). Heck, I had a Munich Helles this afternoon that was 6% ABV--which is about a half a point higher than the upper limit for the style. I think as long as the BU:GU is in check, and care was put into fermentation/water/process/etc, it'll be good.

Another example of me needing to RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back