Adding hops to commercial beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealFloopyGuy

Reaction score
So, I bought a 1/4 keg of Yuengling because I needed a keg and I had people coming over Sat.

My homebrew went over better than I thought and I now have a lot of Yuengling sitting in my kegerator. Particularly "The Innkeeper" from Northern Brewer and some cider I had. This isn't an issue in of itself as I have room for 10-12 kegs in my cooler, but I will never drink the Yuengling. I don't despise it, but much like the jarred borscht in my pantry - it isn't the first thing I will grab.

Is there any way to make it more appealing? I considered using a hopback to give it more hop flavor/smell. Could I just stir in a couple drops of a hopshot from Northern Brewer into a pitcher? I could just fill 2 liters/milk jugs and drop them off to my favorite alcoholics or continue to invite people over every weekend.

I will have a irish stout on tap in a few weeks, I could mix them.

Anyone have any ideas?

The hops shots are CO2 extracted bittering agents and don't really impart a lot in the way of flavor, just bitterness.

A hops back or randall would be a good idea if you want to go through all of that. If you belong to any clubs or organizations having any sorts of events soon, you can donate the keg to that.

This might also be a viable option.... ;)

image_drain-cleaning-repair.jpg

I wish my non beer snob friends weren't pansies. :)

I saw some hops back online that looked like they were just mason jars with a in and a out that had a pickup tub with a piece of wire mesh over it.

I wonder if it will remove cosmoline. haha.

I guess I will just have to invite the neighbors over for a few beers and start giving my friends 2 liters.

A big sign out front that says "free beer" would probably take care of it in a few hours.

Hey,

So the short of it is I live where craft beer is not. I brew my beer but sometimes have to drink locally made beer. Have any of you added a hop pellet or 2 to a commercial beer? did it give it some more flavor, i don't care if I eat a bit of hops but I want more flavor then any local beer can give me, on the off weeks that my beer inst ready.

Hey,

So the short of it is I live where craft beer is not. I brew my beer but sometimes have to drink locally made beer. Have any of you added a hop pellet or 2 to a commercial beer? did it give it some more flavor, i don't care if I eat a bit of hops but I want more flavor then any local beer can give me, on the off weeks that my beer inst ready.

People do this by adding a pellet or two and recapping, then letting it sit for a day or two. Gives them an understanding of the hop aroma but not much on flavor I would think.

So, I bought a 1/4 keg of Yuengling because I needed a keg and I had people coming over Sat.

My homebrew went over better than I thought and I now have a lot of Yuengling sitting in my kegerator. Particularly "The Innkeeper" from Northern Brewer and some cider I had. This isn't an issue in of itself as I have room for 10-12 kegs in my cooler, but I will never drink the Yuengling. I don't despise it, but much like the jarred borscht in my pantry - it isn't the first thing I will grab.

Is there any way to make it more appealing? I considered using a hopback to give it more hop flavor/smell. Could I just stir in a couple drops of a hopshot from Northern Brewer into a pitcher? I could just fill 2 liters/milk jugs and drop them off to my favorite alcoholics or continue to invite people over every weekend.

I will have a irish stout on tap in a few weeks, I could mix them.

Anyone have any ideas?

How about take a few days off and go on a serious bender?

I ended up giving it to alcoholic friends in 2 liter soda bottles.

Why would I need a few days off to go on a serious bender? lol.

Latest posts

Back