Adding GOP & Lemon Peel To Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
I'll be receiving 5 gallons of free wort this coming week and would like to spice it up a bit. All I know is that it is a lightly hopped (willamette) pale ale. I plan use an English yeast and like the title says add some grains of paradise and dried lemon peel (because I have it on-hand).

• When should this be added? Primary? Secondary?
  • Should I create a GOP & Dried Lemon Peel tea by boiling it covered in water for 5 minutes or so?
  • Or just soak the GOP & Dried Lemon Peel in vodka?

:mug:

I wound up boiling .5oz of Lemon Peel and .5oz GOP in a half cup of water for 5 minutes and then added it to the primary.

I see that I totally derailed your thread and no one gave you any advice. I didn't have any, having never used either. It sounds interesting and your method should be good. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah sorry for getting off topic but it was just too easy. I've put both grains of paradise and lemon zest in at the end of the boil with good results. I know someone who makes a wicked concoction out of vodka and lemon peel so it definitely will extract the oils and flavor. Just make sure you crush the GOP and no that's not a political statement.

Yeah sorry for getting off topic but it was just too easy. I've put both grains of paradise and lemon zest in at the end of the boil with good results. I know someone who makes a wicked concoction out of vodka and lemon peel so it definitely will extract the oils and flavor. Just make sure you crush the GOP and no that's not a political statement.

Well you know what they say about acronyms and abbreviations: YAMZQPPXXR...

Back