Adding gelatin to already Carb'd bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanAnteater

Reaction score
I have a batch of dry hopped Saison with 565 that had bottle conditioned for 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure I overcarb'd them so the one I just stuck in the fridge 2 days ago to test out appeared fully carb'd on the high end today. So anyway, it was pretty cloudy and even though it had only been in the fridge for only two days I grabbed a few other bottles, chilled them down, and mixed up a gelatin solution. I uncapped them, put in 3ml of the gelatin solution and recapped (3mL would be the ratio per 12oz bottle if a 2/3 cup water was used with 1 tsp of gelatin for a 5 gallon batch). I'm curious to see if it'll have an effect. So far (about 5 hours), it doesn't look like any clearing has happened even at the top in the neck.

Main question is, has anyone tried this or does anyone have thoughts on this? Usually my beers get moderate clarity after 3-4 weeks in the fridge, but I just felt like trying this on this beer.

Assuming your math is right (I didn't check it), there's no reason it wont work. The question is whether the flavor will change over time. Post back and let us know what you find.

One point: most saison yeasts dont flocculate all that well. Is there a reason you're worried about clarity?

Wasnt completely happy with the flavor so I decided to experiment on a few bottles on a whim.

Also this batch was more or less identical to a Saison I just brewed with Wyeast 3711... that eventually cleared up fairly nice (though I used some oats and wheat, so still some fair haze), and tasted awesome from the start and was less turbid from the start. This batch I just bottled is WLP565 and it has started out way more hazy than the 3711 batch, and has a muddled flavor, and a course hoppiness that I don't like (whirpool and dry hopped this one with Amarillo and Saaz)

UPDATE: Last night, after 24 hours, it looked like the bottles with gelatin had a much larger sediment sinking towards the bottom, about half way down by then. Still hard to tell overall but will look at them when I get home tonight, that will have been 2 full days of gelatin while in the fridge.

After a few more days I will pour a gelatin vs. non-gelatin in pilsner flute glasses and see if any difference, as well as the effects on carbonation from uncapping/recapping.

Back