Adding fruit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doghouse-gav

Reaction score
I brew extract from tins and want to try something different. I'd Like to add fruit eg orange peel etc. My question is when and how would I do it ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

There are several ways to add fruit. Some at the end of boil just before you chill and some in secondary. What recipe were you thinking about?

If you wanna introduce yourself to fruit, you can do what I did for my first brew. Just steep some Orange Peel in the wort... However, the flavor will be really subtle and not necessarily pronounced. If you want to get a fruitier flavor, check out some of the Oregon Brand fruits in a can. Those are good. And they can just be added to the boil and or the secondary.

How much peel would I need to add? And is it just the peel to be added?

How much peel would I need to add? And is it just the peel to be added?

You can buy either bitter of sweet orange peel. "About 1/2 ounce will do for 5 gallons. They lend an overall refreshing but subtle orange citrus character to beer. If you are using fresh orange peel, use only organic oranges to avoid contamination with insecticides" - Papazian.

Latest posts

Back