adding fruit to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan_Jolly

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer 3 weeks ago. I was planning to rack it to secondary on top of some frozen strawberries today but my airlock is still bubbling pretty frequently. Should I give it more time or should it be ok to go ahead and do it today?

If you are looking to add the strawberries for flavor I would wait until primary fermentation is done. Test the gravity and see if you have reached your FG, if you have, wait a day and check it again to make sure you get the same reading. If it has flat lined rack it and enjoy!
Sounds tasty!

It doesn't really matter if fermentation has stopped completely, the strawberries will kick it off again anyways.

If you actually want to taste the strawberries I'd be using 2 pounds per gallon at least.

Ive done this recipe a number of times with various fruits but its usually done fermenting after a week or 2. Not only is it still bubbling after 3 weeks but I can see activity.

It doesn't really matter if fermentation has stopped completely, the strawberries will kick it off again anyways.

If you actually want to taste the strawberries I'd be using 2 pounds per gallon at least.
I only have 4 pounds. You're saying thats nowhere near enough? (5 gal batch)

Yes, for most fruits that would not be enough, but especially strawberries. The flavor transfer is mild at best with strawberries.

Yes, for most fruits that would not be enough, but especially strawberries. The flavor transfer is mild at best with strawberries.

I can get a few more maybe but not many more will fit in the carboy with the 5 gal of beer. Would the 4 pounds give any flavor?

Youll get some strawberry flavor, it will be on the subtle side.. and will become less noticeable over time.

Ive learned flavorings added to secondary are like dry hopping.. they are best drunk fresh..

Youll get some strawberry flavor, it will be on the subtle side.. and will become less noticeable over time.

Ive learned flavorings added to secondary are like dry hopping.. they are best drunk fresh..

It will probably sit on the berries for 2 weeks and then straight in the kegorator. Beers dont usually last long around here so it will definitely be drank fresh.

It will probably sit on the berries for 2 weeks and then straight in the kegorator. Beers dont usually last long around here so it will definitely be drank fresh.

Go for it! Theres a popular professional culinary statement.. "you can always add, but never take away"

Dump what you have in there, if its not the total 10lbs so what.. having a little of something is better than overpowering it with too much of something.

Use what you have, taste it, and if you like it, perfect.. if you want more flavor, then next time add more until its to your liking.. whats the worst.. you gotta brew again? ;)

Latest posts

Back