Adding fruit/beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duv1972

Reaction score
Sorry, I know there are numerous threads on this but I can't seem to get the answer to my specific problem :)

I have the Coopers Mexican Cerveza 40 pint kit and would like to add a lemon flavour and aroma to it, but I am encountering a problem.

The last time I experimented with fruit, I followed the instructions with a few minor alterations (I'll leave out the sterilisation, timing and temperature control info - I'm sure they're not relevant to this):
1 Dissolved contents of can and sugar (the usual amount - 1Kg bag if I remember correctly) with boiling water into primary.
2 Added the lemon juice and a bag containing Citra hops and lemon zest (I can't remember if I topped up with cold water before or after adding these but I think it was after).
3 Added the yeast.
4 Left as usual, then into secondary
5 Took bag out and bottled, left as usual etc. etc.

Unfortunately, it came out totally flat in the end (tasted quite nice though).

I have brewed quite a few kits before and a couple after with and without hops and they have all come out great, it's just the fruit I am struggling with!

Would simply adding to the secondary instead of the primary be the answer? Would I need to change the amount of sugar in the primary or secondary (I have tried the Cervaza with no extras and liked it so I don't want to alter the sweetness or strength).

Also, I have a bottle of lemon juice and another bottle of lime juice just past their best before dates but I am going to chance it (usually do outside of brewing). If I don't add any zest, how much juice should I add to give it a good balanced flavour (not too weak but not overpowering). Also, how much Citra hops?

Thanks in advance.

Back