Adding finished beer to boil for next batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I'm doing a fun local brewery competition this weekend, where I get 5 gallons of unhopped pilsner wort, then have to take it home do something fun to it and make my own beer and I have to violate the Rheinheitsgabot.

I'm planning on doing a saison for the competition and presently have two carboys filled with nice double decocted german pilsner ready to keg. I'm going to have ~3/4 gallon extra pilsner leftover once i fill my two kegs, which will be on competition brew day.

I was thinking it was a great idea to just toss this extra pilsner into the unhopped wort while I steep some other grains in the wort and do a quick boil for the hops. Then I just thought, hmm, wont that oxidize the crap out of that pilsner? Does that matter if it's going to be fermented by the saison yeast anyways? I dont want to just add the pils after the fact as I want to kill off the residual lager yeast in suspension.

Am I overthinking this? Just go for it?

I'll be doing some other things to fullfill the violation of rheinhietsgabot, FYI, this is the only part of my plan I am suddenly unsure of.

I’m not a big fan of this idea. If you really want to combine the two, blend them after fermentation, not before

OK suspicion confirmed. Bad idea. I like the idea of combining later. I can put the pils in some bigger bottles i have on hand with a little priming sugar, then just mix it in when I keg the saison.

Thanks for the feedback!

Back