Adding DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRChase

Reaction score
Hey gang

Making my first kit using dried malt extract. Do I want to add the DME slowly, or quick/all at once.

I know it is one or the other, but can't remember.

A lot of people split the addition, adding half at the start, and the rest toward the end.

That which you add, add quickly. The sooner you start stirring it in, the sooner you can return to the boil.

With DME I have been adding smaller amounts (~1/4 lb) at a time and stirring until dissolved before adding more. This is too slow? Should I add the whole pound or two at once?

Quick is better for dry. It will foam up every time you add some so it's better to just have it do it once than multiple times. Dont worry about it clumping up, it will dissolve as you stir it and as it cooks.

Some people are even proponents of adding all of the extract after the boil. The 60 minute boil is for hops utilization - not to ensure the extract is 'more' dissolved. The yeast will find the sugar.

Back