Adding citrus peel to extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobs126

Reaction score
As my subject says, I am brewing tonight and was wanting to add some citrus peel to an otherwise normal summer ale extract kit . This will b my third brew with the others turning out rather tasty. I don't know how to sanitize them, when to add, or to use fresh or dehydrated . I'm looking for something like a shock top or other citrusy summer ale. Maybe even a Sam Summer? I plan on using the yeast that comes with it and I do have both a bucket fermenter and a glass carboy along with some corny kegs.

I made an Orange Pale ale with Cascade hops last winter. Was pretty good. I removed the white pith from 3 or 4 of those little Clementine oranges, and just threw the rest of the peel into the boil with 5 minutes to go. Santizes them and helps extract some of the oils. Most of the oranges ended up in the fermenter too, no worries there. The orange flavor was very good, but started to fade after 4-5 weeks in the keg.

Sometimes adding 1/2 oz of crushed Corriander in addition to the 1-2 standard size orange peels (or 3/4 clementine) will give you a nice combo. Corriander must be crushed though, I do it in a bowl with a small glass. I have a Sunset Wheat clone going where I added a tad of both (along with blueberries and extract). Its a very fruity wheat beer that my wife adores.

If you are using wheat extract with a wheat style yeast, I would give it 2 - 2.5 weeks in the fermenter and go straight to bottle (or keg). Will taste better young.

Depends on when you add them if you need to sanitize. I add my peel in two addition late in boil...usually at 10, 5, and even a flameout if I am really trying to bring out the flavor. If you are adding it to a secondary, you will want to sanitize them in vodka first.

You can zest just about any fruit and add it if you want, don't know if this is the store bought peel...good luck

Latest posts

Back