Adding Brewing Salts After Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
Can I add calcium chloride after fermentation is complete to help round out the malty flavors of a beer or are these types of additions strictly pre-ferment?

not sure why you'd think that would help the maltyness - maybe it would but i never heard of that. I would think that would take some of the clarity out of your beer.

Maybe you can try splitting your beer - maybe 1/2 - 1 gal and add the salt and see what happens. That way your not waisting a whole batch if it doesnt work out.

I've been doing a lot of maltier beers lately and I know next to nothing about water chemistry so I used this thread as a starting point: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

I still don't seem to be getting what I perceive as the "hardness" I'm looking for in the flavors of these beers and was just wondering if it would be possible to adjust them post fermentation.

My understanding is that water chemistry is about providing a certain environment and minerals for the mash to occur in which is why water chemistry is not an issue with extract beers where that work has already been done for you in the mashing and extraction process.
There is a possibility that water chemistry post ferment will make a difference but I think it's something you should have thought of before and at this point it will just be a hit and miss affair and could cause your beer problems. But one way to find out is to take a small sample, treat it and taste it versus an untreated sample, this should let you know if it's worth doing, but there is also a possibility that some of those chemicals need to be metabolised by the yeast as part of it's life cycle to make any meaningful contribution.....but don't let that stop you trying :)

Yeah, I understand that it is typical to add minerals to your water prior to mashing. I have done that but have still not achieved the flavor I'm looking for so I was just wondering if adding more minerals after fermentation would make a difference. I guess I just need to do some experimenting!

You could add post ferment, but I'm not 100% sure what the results would be. Most sources say you need to add salts and minerals to the mash water, to the sparge water if it is too alkaline, then to the boil. A lot of what you add to the mash won't make it to the boil. I know the EZ Water speadsheet account for this and splits up your additions.

Back