Adding boiled oats to sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MockY

Reaction score
I sometimes forget to add adjuncts to the mash since it generally does not go through the mill. The last brew was one of those times (brewed a NEIPA). I omitted a pound of flaked oats during the entire mash so I quickly brought them to a boil in RO water in a pot and then let them sit for a few minutes off of the heat. Before I did the sparge (using batch sparging), I mixed in the oats to the grist and proceeded with the sparge as usual.

What should I expect from the snafu? Tannins, no sugars at all, unfermentable sugars, extra haze...?

Possibly a high finishing gravity if the enzymes weren't in fighting shape to get the oat starches converted.

And yeah, maybe it will be tannic and hazy. How many quarts of boiling water were there for the pound of oats? If it was a thick concoction then you might be in decent shape. I've heard that decoctions don't add off-flavors because the thick mash is the portion that gets boiled.

Tannins, no sugars at all, unfermentable sugars, extra haze...?

I wonder what the tannin content of flaked oats is. As a frequent consumer of flaked oats for breakfast (and other meals) it doesnt have an astringent taste that would indicate a marked presence of polyphenols, nor is the color typical for a tannin. Plenty of protein to bind to, but doesnt have the indicators of tannins.

Possibly a high finishing gravity if the enzymes weren't in fighting shape to get the oat starches converted.

And yeah, maybe it will be tannic and hazy. How many quarts of boiling water were there for the pound of oats? If it was a thick concoction then you might be in decent shape. I've heard that decoctions don't add off-flavors because the thick mash is the portion that gets boiled.

I honestly do not remember how much water I used as I just added some to a pot. The finished "product" was extremely thick and I had to ladle it out of the pot,

Back