Adding ABV to an AHS Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
I recently purchased the AHS Oatmeal Stout kit (here). Unfortunately, it only is 1.053 (5%). Since this is a premade kit, I don't want to stray too far from the grain bill, but I want to boost the ABV to approx 7%, or around 1.065-1.070 OG. I know I'm going to add some brown sugar, but I don't want to overdo it, so I was thinking about adding some pale or amber DME for the boost. Can anyone make any recommendations?

You could add sugar, maybe a pound or more, and you'll get a stronger beer. The main issue will be balance. The BU:GU (bitterness to gravity ratio) will be different. Your perceived bitterness will be reduced if all you do is add gravity. That kit has no IBU numbers, so there's no way to know if the bitterness is on the high side already, so adding more gravity wouldn't hurt it. If the BU:GU is already on the low end, it could make the beer cloying.

When I get the kit tomorrow, I'll run the numbers through BeerSmith and see what it says for IBU. Hopefully that will help with making a determination. I've got access to plenty of high alpha hops if I need to combat reduced bitterness. I guess we'll see.

ok. I dont really know what Im talking about but AHS did give me several options with different kits to purchase a ABV increase agent that supposedly does not alter the taste of the beer and raise is 1.0. It was $1.99 i think. Just a thought.

I just did a midwest autumn amber ale kit and added half a pack (500g) of coopers brewing sugar I wanted to start using up. It's mostly dextrose. It went from 1046ish to 1060ish. I got it all set in the primary and tasted the hydrometer sample and it was like sugar water. It was so sweet I really couldn't focus on the other taste aspects. It could have been sweet tea for all I could tell.

So I'm just posting this to say.. alter carefully! It also would'nt hurt to add less than you think, mix, test, taste.. add more if desired.

The shop also sent me the wrong yeast, so I had to pitch coopers yeast on it. At least coopers yeast likes coopers sugar. I hope 2 weeks is long enough to convert all that sweet wort to a decent ale in time.

Have fun and good luck!

Here is its exact sales pitch

1% Alcohol Boost:
Add 1% alcohol to your beer without compromising its flavor. Brewvint Alcohol Boost is 55% maltose/45% glucose, a very fermentable mix with little flavor contribution.

Back