Add secondary fermation time to the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgre

Reaction score
Is it true I can add the time from secondary fermentation to the primary with out changing containers and get the same effects? My main goal is a great tasteing IPA from a recipe that calls for secondary fermentation... is this possible with only one fermentation container?

It definitely is possible but as far as I know, a lot of IPA's benefit from a secondary fermenter.

I very rarley use a secondary. Only if i need to get the beer off of the yeast. If i am adding fruit or dry hopping. Some people will debate this but in my expierence it does not make a difference. Jamil who has won hundreds of awards never does a secondary, again unless it is needed for dry hopping or adding fruit.

Thats why I think a secondary would be a good idea because there will almost definitely be dry hopping in the recipe.

the use of secondaries is completely a matter of preference. there are lots of people on here that swear by them and others that never even bother. IMO the yeast will drop out just as much and just as fast in the primary as they will if you use a secondary. as far as ales are concerned the longer you leave them on the yeast the better (up to a point).

since this is an IPA i assume there is going to be some amount of dry hoping. it is recommended that dry hoping be done in a secondary container. the CO2 production of the still active yeast will drive away the aroma of the hops you are adding.

Secondary only if you have to the more times you move beer around the less you get from it. That being said if you are going to dry hop move it over to the secondary but don't be afraid to take a little more trub with you now than you would at bottling time it won't hurt anything

ok so my best bet is to get the secondary fermenter because i am going to brew a IPA? thanks for all the tips

I was just reading through this informative thread about using a secondary or not. It sounds like many people use the extended primary fermentation method only and have great success. I currently have my first pale ale in a primary and I think I'm going to leave it for a couple more weeks after reading this as opposed to upping my risk of infection since I'm a noob.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/secondary-fermentation-rack-not-rack-155255/

I never use a secondary any more - I leave in the primary for 4 weeks and if I am going to dry hop - I toss it in the primary for an extra week.

Since I went to this - after reading a lot of comments on here - and some experiments my beer has never been better.

Cheers

...since this is an IPA i assume there is going to be some amount of dry hoping. it is recommended that dry hoping be done in a secondary container. the CO2 production of the still active yeast will drive away the aroma of the hops you are adding.

I understand the CO2 driving off aromas, but I'm not sure why that leads to needing to use a secondary. To me it means, don't dry hop until after your fairly close to your FG. Once it's close, dry hop the primary.

I wouldn't think you'd introduce anymore O2 adding hops to the primary than you would racking the whole batch onto a pile of hops. Right???

The potential to add additional oxygen is from a rough ride while moving the fluid from one container to the next. The effect of the hops themselves will be the same.

Back