add missing 1.5 lme the day after brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straycat

Reaction score
ok, so i'm looking to brew edwort's haus pale ale today. my original plan was to brew the pale ale and then pitch another bigger beer (american ipa) on the yeast cake. the issue is that my order arrived without the 1.5 of lme munich. it's in town and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. is it ok to brew up the pale ale and then tomorrow boil the 1.5 of munich in a little h2o and pitch that into the fermentor? i know i'd have to account for the second day addition in the overall volume measurement going into the fermentor today. thoughts?

Yes, that is fine. In fact, some Belgian beers are brewed by adding the sugar about a week to 10 days into fermentation.

From a fermentation perspective it's fine. The yeast will eat the sugar. However, your hops utilization of your boil will be off. The density of your wort will be different if you simply just brew the batch without the LME and add it in later. If you are pulling out LME, you probably need to pull some water out of the boil to make the wort density similar to what it would be with if you had all of the LME.

From a fermentation perspective it's fine. The yeast will eat the sugar. However, your hops utilization of your boil will be off. The density of your wort will be different if you simply just brew the batch without the LME and add it in later. If you are pulling out LME, you probably need to pull some water out of the boil to make the wort density similar to what it would be with if you had all of the LME.

This is a disputed idea. The latest thought is that the density of the boiling wort has little effect on the hop utilization. My thoughts are is that I don't know if its right or if its wrong, but if some of the most experienced brewers dispute it, then the effect would be so minimal that it would be imperceptible.

Yep. Gonna hold off on the pale ale after all. However, I am going to brew the ipa. Thanks for the feedback etc.

Back