acquiring the taste for beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXIboneheadIXI

Reaction score
well i had a friend recently ask me how to acquire a taste for beer, and i wasnt really sure how to answer this as when i was in my mid teens i was an absolute binge drinker so hell if i remember anything about when i first started drinking beer.

i would assume the best way to acquire that taste would be go buy a few 30 packs of molson canadian or something(stronger flavour than like a bud light or something IMO. and cheap) until he likes that. then spend the money at the grocery store on some of those mix and match your own 6 pack thing and a 4 pack of Guinness or something? thats the advise i gave him, but for all i know i could be ruining his first beer experience.

Having him go buy cheap gross beer to acquire his taste for beer is like giving someone Franzia to acquire their taste for wine.

Having him go buy cheap gross beer to acquire his taste for beer is like giving someone Franzia to acquire their taste for wine.

i also should have mentioned he doesnt wanna spend a lot of money at first. i figured atleast some decent big commercial beer would atleast get him used to a 'beer taste'

anyone got any recommendations on a cheapish starter beer for someone then

Here is kinda the path that my wife took to establish a 'taste for beer' and it seems to be working a friends' girlfriend as well...

1. Hornsby's (or similar hard cider), then

2. Heffeweisen (Widmer is a solid choice), then

3: Blue Moon

3. Fat Tire Amber (or similar)

4. Dead guy

I'd get a handle on what kinds of flavors this friend likes in general. What does he eat? Spicy, bland, salty, bitter, sweet, rich, light, what kinds of flavors or categories of foods, like that? Once you get a handle on that, start picking up beers that match his preferences, and you'll have a new homebrewin' beer snob of a friend in no time.

And yes, stay away from the crap. Nothing kills the enjoyment of something like experiencing the worst possible example of it. No BMC.

The best way to acquire a "taste" for beer is to drink beer. "Taste" is subjective, so just tell the guy to start drinking beer and drink different kinds of beer. If you need to be specific, use these instructions:

1) drink some beer
2) next week, drink some different beer
3) repeat until you find a beer you like, then try some more beer
4) learn about the styles of beer you like and what ingredients go into them
5) learn about the styles of beer you do not like and what ingredients go into them
6) seek out beer styles/ingredients that you like
7) never stop exploring beer

Back