Acidulated malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
I never used AM always used phosphoric...question is how much % of AM can be used without getting any sour flavors in a delicate beer like a pilsner? how about 3.5% for example would that impart sour flavors? thank you

Rule of thumb is to keep acid malt under 5% to prevent off flavors.
That said, my personal preference is lactic which I find more accurately measurable than AM.

Yeah heard lactic is ideal, but I have AM on hand so I'm gonna give it a shot at 3.5% thank you cheers

Thanks alot everyone for the advice, pilsners are so delicate so just wanted to see what you all thought..thanks again

According to German maltster Weyermann you can use up to 10% without sour flavors. About 1% per 0.1 pH units when using their product.

On a brew strong episode Martin says that acidulated malt/Lactic acid is key to getting that pilsner flavor so don’t fear it, i mean if your water profile is calling for a pound in 5 gallons yeah it will be tart but when i brew a pale beer, full volume biab mash i need to use at least 1 oz per gallon, never had an issue

According to German maltster Weyermann you can use up to 10% without sour flavors. About 1% per 0.1 pH units when using their product.

They also state that flavor and foam stability are enhanced by the use of acidulated malt.

Unless your water has loads of alkalinity, 5 percent by weight of acidulated malt as part of the grist bill will bring even the lightest colored Pilsner malt SMaSH recipe into the acceptable mash pH range.

Back