Acid Malts 'nominal' mEq Acid Strength at a targeted pH of 5.40

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Acid Malt (typical) ~= 0.323 mEq/gram
Acid Malt (typical) ~= 9.16 mEq/ounce

This compares to (again, specifically for pH 5.40):

88% Lactic Acid = 11.451 mEq/mL
80% Lactic Acid = 10.246 mEq/mL
10% Phosphoric Acid = 1.0903 mEq/mL
30% Phosphoric Acid = 3.667 mEq/mL
75% Phosphoric Acid = 12.262 mEq/mL
85% Phosphoric Acid = 14.856 mEq/mL
AMS (CRS) = 3.655 mEq/mL
Anhydrous Citric Acid Crystals = 12.635 mEq/gram
Baking Soda = -10.752 mEq/gram

I don't think I've ever seen this data before. More than anything, it shows the relative strengths of various acids, for an overall picture. Thanks for posting!

Beware that (sans for AMS/CRS) the values are only valid at pH 5.4. They differ for other pH's.

Go here to see how to derive Acid Strengths for various of weak acids at other pH targets:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...weak-acid-meq-strength-at-targeted-ph.692133/
Be sure to read the entire post, whereby to learn how to account for weak acids that liberate more than 1 H+ ion (or proton, as some see it).

I'm not sure how others do this, as for the most part they either won't say, or often enough they are merely copying code from someone else and in truth have no clue as to functionality, but this is the method which my 'Mash Made Easy' spreadsheet uses. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back