Acetone Jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Anyone think it would be safe to use empty Acetone jugs for a secondary.
We have a few where I work. I took one home cleaned it, bleached it. It has no smell. I thought about trying a small batch of mead or wine. What do you think?

If it was pure acetone it should work and be residue free. Any scratches inside, if so pass on it. But I would spend a few bucks for a food grade bucket.

smorris said:
If it was pure acetone it should work and be residue free. Any scratches inside, if so pass on it. But I would spend a few bucks for a food grade bucket.
Its glass, 1gal pure Acetone. Just curious, I hate to was a good jug, although they are pretty cheap...

Since they're made of glass, you should be fine. Glass is probably the easiest to clean material around. What sort of lid does it have?

Acetone has been remover from Hazmat lists. Not cancerous, not smoggy. Your body makes it as byproduct of fat burning- it is one of those Ketones that Dr Atkins talks about in his diet plan. Actually, your body breaks alcohol down to acetone.
The bad side of acetone is that it acts as a carrier- it can bring other more dangerous molecules through your skin. Maybe a little bit would accentuate hop flavors?....

a good rule of thumb is to not use anything for food that once housed chemicals. but, that's just me :~) i'd splurg for some new gear so i'd sleep better....

DeRoux's Broux said:
a good rule of thumb is to not use anything for food that once housed chemicals. but, that's just me :~) i'd splurg for some new gear so i'd sleep better....

You mean like Chlorine, Iodine, Alcohol, maltose, dextrose, isocohumulol, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, di-hydrogenated oxygen? Those kinds of chemicals?

casebrew said:
You mean like Chlorine, Iodine, Alcohol, maltose, dextrose, isocohumulol, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, di-hydrogenated oxygen? Those kinds of chemicals?

i'm pretty sure we all know what i was getting at casebrew.

DeRoux's Broux said:
I agree - better to be safe than sorry!

DeRoux's Broux said:
i'm pretty sure we all know what i was getting at casebrew.

Did you mean HAZARDOUS chemicals? Like Chlorine, Iodine, Alcohol, maltose, dextrose, isocohumulol, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, di-hydrogenated oxygen, acetic acid? Those kinds of chemicals?

Or do you mean that rather than educate yourself about the safety of some substance, you will buy new rather than re-use, and fill the landfills up unneccessarily? I guess some people have more money than time, others have more time than money. We all draw the line at the point of our own choosing. I doubt if any viewer on this list uses only new equipment- pickle buckets for grain transport or primary, used carboys (could have had ANYTHING in them), kitchen pots and pans (see above list, all could be found in your kitchen), re-used bottles. But scaring folks away from CHEMICALS is paranoia.

:D
casebrew said:
Did you mean HAZARDOUS chemicals? Like Chlorine, Iodine, Alcohol, maltose, dextrose, isocohumulol, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, di-hydrogenated oxygen, acetic acid? Those kinds of chemicals?

Or do you mean that rather than educate yourself about the safety of some substance, you will buy new rather than re-use, and fill the landfills up unneccessarily? I guess some people have more money than time, others have more time than money. We all draw the line at the point of our own choosing. I doubt if any viewer on this list uses only new equipment- pickle buckets for grain transport or primary, used carboys (could have had ANYTHING in them), kitchen pots and pans (see above list, all could be found in your kitchen), re-used bottles. But scaring folks away from CHEMICALS is paranoia.

bad day today casebrew? chill bro. my post just meant that i recomend not re-using anything that was used to store chemicals, other than intended for food/beverage use. and, i said that was just me. no paranoia here. i'd just rather spring for a new carboy than use one that's had acetone in it.
i'm sure the members of the forum are intelligent enough to have understood my post.

Easy guys, no need to get jumpy :)

Generally speeking, it's not a bad idea to be weary of containers that were used for storing potentially hazardous chemicals. That said, since the containers are glass, and acetone is fairly easy to detect if it's in high enough quantities to be harmful, I'd say they'd be okay to use after a thorough cleaning.

Back