Accidently made a budweiser tasting ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoosteezMorgan

Reaction score
Hi guys im not new to brewing but new to bottling anyways i made an ale with us05 1 lb rye 10 lb american pale 1 lb carmel mlt and 22 oz pearl barley a 70 minute boil bravo at 70 .5 bravo at 44 .5 saaz at 35 .5 saaz at 28 .5 saaz at 15 .5 saaz at 10 .2 saaz and end .3 it turned out potent only left it for a week but currentlt it is ****ing just like budweiser a lil more bitter after tste and yeah itll give you a buzz but taste like ur uncles house smells

Cool, i might give it a try. What were your mash and fermentation temperatures?

Sorry man - I mean Bud has its place - like at a ballgame, on the golf course or after midnight at a bonfire, but I'd be bummed if I went to all the "trouble" of brewing to only end up with something I can get for $14.99 a case.

Guys!!! I don't think he is really happy about it!!!

Me... I would be pissed. Budweiser is one of my least favorite of all beers. And I really do like light American lagers from time to time. But Budweiser is not one of them.

Much like a good song; many a good recipe was discovered through mistake.

Totally agree!

The recipe actually doesn't look that bad, pretty classic Americana so I guess It makes sense it taste like "America" ...haha

I doubt Bud has such a good hop schedule.

The only times I get pissed off is if there's an infection or have to toss beer, I call it a success if the beer is drinkable- even if it's "America" quality.

Brew on

Mistakes make for learning experiences. If you can figure out where your problem started and correct it, the chances of it happening again are reduced. My last beer was almost, but not quite what I expected because of a small flub in hopping. I ended up with slightly less final volume from boiling loss which changed the bittering to slightly more than expected.
Not a fatal mistake, but noticeable. Definitely not worthy of throwing out. After a few extra weeks of aging young ale in the bottle, the hop presence mellowed and wasn't as bitter as originally perceived.

Two historical "mistakes" - accidentally vulcanized rubber and smokeless gunpowder.

Guys!!! I don't think he is really happy about it!!!

Me... I would be pissed. Budweiser is one of my least favorite of all beers. And I really do like light American lagers from time to time. But Budweiser is not one of them.

Judging by Budweiser sales numbers, we're the minority in that opinion.

Supporting kh54s10 above ^^^^^^

I promise I am not trying to start a taste war here. Much the opposite, I am bragging on our collective efforts as home brewers to make beer that far exceeds commercial suppliers.

I brew a large variety of beers. On my tap board I have a NE IPA, Chocolate milk stout, ESB, Cali Commons, Patersbier, Saison, Cream Ale....all the way down to a 2.5% ABV ultra light beer with Nelson Sauvin hops. By showing this I have a wide range of tastes and no real preferences except they must be well done beers to stay in my lineup.

I had a surprise BD party for my wife last month. Due to the location (and restrictions) where I had it, I used their vendor to supply the food, beer and wine. The vendor says by far the number one most popular beer is Bud Light. Also had some Mich Ultra along with red and white wine all priced as a package.

Long story short, I had a partial (opened) case of Bud Light left over which I took to the barn fridge at my farm. I didn't drink one at her party since I was busy hosting and thanking folks for coming. It was only yesterday that I decided to drink a Bud Light. I was none short of appalled that this beer is the number one best seller of non-craft beers in our market. It was genuinely a let down in about every aspect of the word. The only good thing I could say about it was that it was cold which helped mask some of the taste. If this beer was served in the 40F temp range, I can only imagine the off flavors coming thru. WOW....we must be making some seriously good beers as home brewers, and I appreciate our own collective efforts to make outstanding beers more than ever.

Supporting kh54s10 above ^^^^^^

I promise I am not trying to start a taste war here. Much the opposite, I am bragging on our collective efforts as home brewers to make beer that far exceeds commercial suppliers.

I brew a large variety of beers. On my tap board I have a NE IPA, Chocolate milk stout, ESB, Cali Commons, Patersbier, Saison, Cream Ale....all the way down to a 2.5% ABV ultra light beer with Nelson Sauvin hops. By showing this I have a wide range of tastes and no real preferences except they must be well done beers to stay in my lineup.

I had a surprise BD party for my wife last month. Due to the location (and restrictions) where I had it, I used their vendor to supply the food, beer and wine. The vendor says by far the number one most popular beer is Bud Light. Also had some Mich Ultra along with red and white wine all priced as a package.

Long story short, I had a partial (opened) case of Bud Light left over which I took to the barn fridge at my farm. I didn't drink one at her party since I was busy hosting and thanking folks for coming. It was only yesterday that I decided to drink a Bud Light. I was none short of appalled that this beer is the number one best seller of non-craft beers in our market. It was genuinely a let down in about every aspect of the word. The only good thing I could say about it was that it was cold which helped mask some of the taste. If this beer was served in the 40F temp range, I can only imagine the off flavors coming thru. WOW....we must be making some seriously good beers as home brewers, and I appreciate our own collective efforts to make outstanding beers more than ever.

When I drank the swill, I liked Schlitz, Miller, Busch, even some that were about $10 a case. Olympia.. I think??

Budweiser has always had a flavor that I don't like. I even like Bud Light more..... But not much.

And one of the other worst is Coors. When it first became available in Connecticut everyone went wild. I tried it and said "What does anyone see in this beer?"

For the guy that asked the mash was 60 minutes starting with 178 degree water making mash temps 152 the boil was 70 minutes it was a rather low boil it is a bit hoppier than bud and has a better body but i think its the saaz hops that have it tasting like budweiser im hoping time will help and according to my hydrometer its like 9 percent without any alcohol taste but the mals and rye dont show through at all sadly even though its only like 39 ibu beer

It was supposed to be
Like a hybrid amerian porter american special bitter with rye notes i chose saaz becayse i was hoping to help the spiciness of te rye shine through

Back