Accidentally froze a Sour Blonde : /

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegasus_brew

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. Last Thursday I pulled a batch out of my fermentation chamber to bottle and left the probe attached to the carboy, so my stc-1000 kept the freezer on all night.

I made a few mistakes here, the first of which is that I shouldn't have been bottling so late at night, because I ordinarily wouldn't leave the clean up for the next day. If I had taken the time to clean up, I would have noticed the probe still attached to the carboy and moved it. I also wouldn't have usually been keeping the Sour Blonde or the other beer (Prairie Artisan 'Merica clone) in the ferm chamber, but our AC was broken for a few days, so I moved them into the chamber to get them out of the 90 degree temperatures that room was experiencing. Lessons learned, I guess.

I thawed them both out and pulled samples and they're both tasting fine which is a huge relief. Now I'm just wondering if I'm ok to repitch the yeast. The sour blonde was a gallon that I pulled from a batch of clean Blonde just to keep the Bug County I've been sitting on going while I decided what else I wanted to do with it. Now I'm getting ready to brew a Flanders Red that I'd like those bugs for. Not the end of the world if I had to buy more, but we all know that the ECY stuff isn't exactly easy to get your hands on. Anyone else ever make this very stupid mistake?

how frozen was it?
my biggest concern would be a cracked carboy.
the yeast should be ok, although you probably did kill some.

how frozen was it?
my biggest concern would be a cracked carboy.
the yeast should be ok, although you probably did kill some.

They were pretty well frozen. Kind of like a beer slushy. By some miracle the 1 gallon glass jug that the Sour Blonde was in didn't break and the 'Merica clone was in a bucket. I'm assuming I probably pulled a decent amount of oxygen into both of them, so I'm planning on bottling the blonde and kegging the Saison before that wreaks too much havoc. The 'Merica clone was ready to go anyway, so no huge loss there, but I'm a little sad that I didn't get to see what the Blonde would have become with some more time. It was/is 3 months old and while it tastes great and has a nice lemony lactic thing going on, I'm not picking up much brett character. I guess I'll just have to brew another one :)

accidental eisen-sour

other than that, I can't add anything to the discussion

Back