Accidental strong ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightstrife

Reaction score
Hello friends. I recently brewed a batch of beer and went with a bit of instinct at the home brew store. I had a base recipe that I have been tweeking for a while. The problem is they ran out of a couple ingredients so I subbed stuff based on my gut. Now I have a delicious new recipe that I will save for my book and brew it again. My real question is what did I make? I think it fits in the British Strong Ale or Wee Heavy categories but I am unsure.

5 gallon batch

Mash/grist
6 pounds Marris Otter
3 pounds Dark Munich
1.5 pounds Vienna
1.5 pounds victory
.5 pounds of crystal 20l
.5 pounds of crystal 60l

Mashed at about 154 for 60 minutes then fly sparged for the boil volume.

Boil
Hops is all El Dorado AA about 15%
.25 oz @ 60
.25 oz @ 45
.25 oz @ 30
.25 oz @ 15
.25 oz @ 0

Used White Labs California Ale 001 and fermented at about 66 for three days then room temps 70 ish for 11 days. Dry hopped with 3 oz of El Dorado for a week.(total time in the primary was 3 weeks) Primed with a tad over 1/2 cup of table sugar and bottled.

Og was 1.072 and FG was 1.020 = 6.8% abv

It tastes great! Nice roasty note with hints of biscuit, toffee and caramel. Hop is subdued and light with a very good balance between the malt and hop. No phenols or esters to note. Very smooth. Dark brown, slightly red at the corners of the glass.

Edit: with my subbing anf looking for different malts I accidentally added an extra pound of grain. That was the true accident...

Sounds like a hoppy strong ale. Remember it's a throwaway category that includes such disparate styles as strong milds and Stingo.

Thaks guys,
This is going out on a limb. Would this be a good category to enter this in a comp? Its almost a light porter...

Back