AC to DC conversion / small gearbox

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pricedawg

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can help me. I am looking to make an automatic hop dropper that will drop my hops into the boil via rotating disc. Think lazy susan with a hole in it.

Two questions: What is the best way to convert AC to DC for a small hobby style gearbox/motor?

Also, what gear ratios would I need to drive a lazy susan that will support/spin only aboue 2 pounds? I really only want it to be the speed of a rotisserie (which by the way will not work because it spins in a different direction each time it is started)

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Hoping you guys can help me. I am looking to make an automatic hop dropper that will drop my hops into the boil via rotating disc. Think lazy susan with a hole in it.

Two questions: What is the best way to convert AC to DC for a small hobby style gearbox/motor?
Purchase a power supply from ebay based on your motor's requirement.

Also, what gear ratios would I need to drive a lazy susan that will support/spin only aboue 2 pounds?
Look at the model cars, airplane servo motors.

How many hop drop positions will you have?
How do you plan on stopping your dropper at the correct position?

My hop dropper has four positions and is controlled by my PLC.

Mine will be controlled by the hot wire output from my alarm on my timer(in theory). I will have to position my drop cups based on the distance the lazy Susan travels over the alarm cycle. It should be a simple operation. It will take some trial and error before I cut the cups out. I have a modified Kal clone, so no PLC for me

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Claudius, I am planning on 5 positions at 1.5 rpms. That would allow me to run the alarm for 8 seconds for each position. It's just an idea and may not work. I was lucky in that I did find the 120vac 1.5rpm motor online last night for $12. The turntable will be two round sheets of PVC at 12" diameter. I will determine the cup spacing once I am able to run off the alarm

I can picture a geneva mechanism set up with a turntable, indexing one position for each revolution of a motor. A switch mechanism could easily allow for one revolution of the indexer via pushbutton or computer control. It shouldn't be too hard to build from PVC or lexan sheets. There are plenty of plans and dimension calculations available on the web.

The only problem that I forsee is humidity from the boil kettle causing hops to stick to any chute or dispensing mechanism and not fall into the boil.

Pic please.
My hop dropper was built in early 2008 and still running strong.
The gear motor is a 24 VDC 1 RPM.

Done1.jpg

Hop_Dispenser_1 (16).jpg

Hop_Dispenser_1 (15).jpg

Hop_Dispenser_1 (34).jpg

Hop_Dispenser_1 (30).jpg

Nice. Saw your pics online over the last few days. I thought it was much larger

Hi Guys,

Just about to try to make one of these and integrate it into the Brauduino controller. Any suggestions on what to do / what not to do? What materials and controls did you use?

Thanks!

Lael

Back