ABV Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taelmore

Reaction score
I have had micro brews that seem to give you a good buzz. I made a really good amber beer that tasts great, but it just doesnt have the buzz affect that I was looking for, any Ideas on how to get it a little more potent... so I dont have to chase the beer buzz with so many beers. :drunk:

A 1oz shot of vodka will raise the ABV by about 2.5% by my math. It does not change the taste much.

Try a half shot, first.

Do you take hydrometer readings? That is the only way to tell your ABV. Are you making kits? If you post a recipe, someone could plug it into beersmith or other brewing software and at least give you a potential or estimated ABV.

Chances are, your beer is closer to 4.5-5%. Some microbrews are closer to 6-7%. That small difference can really show up.

Let me warn you. "How can I make my beer stronger to get hammered quicker" questions are not typically received well around here. We take pride in brewing beer. Getting drunk is just a nice side effect!

If you want to get turbo drunk, keep brewing your great beer, then brew some of Edwort's Apfelwein on the side.

No, Please Don't get me rong, I dont want to get hammered, I am really into the process of making beer and enjoy it alot. I just think that with a little higher ABV % I t would make it even that much better. I do use a hydrometer and am using some recipe from my local brew store. The side affect is nice, just want to make a great beer that every one will talk about.

if I did add the vodka would I do it during the boil or just befor I add the yeast?

if I did add the vodka would I do it during the boil or just befor I add the yeast?

You would add it to your glass or bottle of beer, just before you drink it.

I have heard of dumping vodka into a keg, if the ABV came out too low, but have never tried it.

No, Please Don't get me rong, I dont want to get hammered, I am really into the process of making beer and enjoy it alot. I just think that with a little higher ABV % I t would make it even that much better. I do use a hydrometer and am using some recipe from my local brew store. The side affect is nice, just want to make a great beer that every one will talk about.

Maybe see what your LHBS (local homebrew store) would recommend for a high gravity beer. Double IPA, Barleywine, Scottish Wee Heavy, Imperial Stout just to name a few.

You could also try "hard candi sugar" , used in belgian tripels and a few others, 100% fermentable sugar with no change in taste. But the brewvint is cheaper. 1-2 bags should be good.

Back