Abv question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epruneau

Reaction score
My wife wants all of my meads to finish around 6% does anyone know if that’s even possible since it looks like all different yeast strains are capable of producing more if it is possible would it be less honey and fermentables and if that’s the case would it even have any taste. Thanks.

So pretty much the only way to do that would be to sacrifice it tasting like anything?

there are plenty of ‘hydromels’ on the market these days, i suspect because of the much faster turn-around time than wine-strength meads. they tend to add more strong flavors to mask the fact that the honey flavor is weak. most are carbonated, too. hops, fruits, etc.

I'd make a 1.045-ish must, ferment it dry, and then stabilize using k-meta and sorbate. Then I'd backsweeten it to around 1.010-ish in order to give you a bit of flavour and mouthfeel as there's not going to be much dry at 6% ABV.

Personally I'd aim for a melomel or braggot if you're aiming for 6% ABV. Get something else to back up the flavours you want.

With some irony, you could make a higher ABV mead and dilute any mead from that batch to give to your wife. You would then have a more flavor -rich mead and your wife would have her lower ABV mead... BUT another alternative is to make a carbonated mead. The CO2 will explode the flavor molecules in your mouth so even with a less flavor rich wine the taste may still have more flavor when the mead is sparkling.

Back