ABV change after priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyMack

Reaction score
My understanding is that once you are getting a consistent gravity reading you can assume that fermentation is complete and either bottle or rack into secondary. If you bottle right away would you take a hydrometer again after priming and use that as your FG to calculate ABV? If so, wouldn't the FG and thus the ABV change again after the beer conditions in the bottle? or is the difference negligible?

I'm want to assign an accurate ABV to my brews and it seems it would increase after adding priming sugar. There is still yeast to produce the CO2 for carbonation so wouldn't it also be producing more alcohol? Does anyone take a hydrometer reading of their carbonated, ready-to-drink beer?

I'm want to assign an accurate ABV to my brews

How accurate do you want? There is a margin of error in the whole process. Why do you want to be so accurate?

Relax.......

When calculating, just add the priming sugar to your fermentables and calculate the ABV that way (i.e. add it to your OG). If you use dextrose, it's close to 100% fermentable, so the FG will barely change. Generally, the increase in ABV is somewhere between 0.2% and 0.4%, depending on how much sugar you add.

You can also just let the beer go flat after it's carbonated then measure with a hydrometer(after accounting for the priming sugar in the OG). But the beer gods will hunt you down and kill you. Just add 0.2% and call it a day.

Back