ABV calculation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyd9448

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm relatively new to this, and I think I might be thinking too much into this. I have quite a few different numbers and I'm trying to get my ABV on a batch of beer I made. It was a 5 gallon recipe that I split into two batches and pitched different yeasts, so I have two ABVs to calculate. I used a refractometer and Tilt for all of my OG readings, and then refractometer, Tilt, and hydrometer for final readings. I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me pinpoint what the actual ABV is on these beers.

For both beers I have the same readings since they came from the same batch and split before yeast. This is a DIPA FYI - I added 2lbs corn sugar at the end of the boil (not sure that's relevant or not).

For those I had a 1.092 OG, or 22 BRIX % (@ 68 F). I have one Tilt, and I put it in the Cosmic Punch batch, and when I put it in there (was calibrated with distilled water) it gave me a reading of 1.083 (way off from refractometer).

For the two individual batches, I have the following numbers AFTER fermentation, before carbonating.

1643398889227.png

OG reading
1643398913764.png

FG Hornindal
1643398947838.png

FG Cosmic Punch
1643398973761.png

Yeah... I got around there too on a few tools online. I guess I'm not sure what the most accurate or best way is. My tilt readings give me ~9% and other calculations are closer to 10-10.5%

How much accuracy do you need for ABV? If you aren't selling it, then I'd think there 'bouts is good enough.

It's still a guess no matter how accurate the SG readings. Though it's a pretty good guess backed up by reasoning of the normal ingredients and science.

I'd always trust a hydrometer reading for the most accurate OG and FG to use for your calculations. Tilts and refractometers can be off every once in a while for reasons that aren't readily apparent at that moment in time. Though I'd not hesitate to use them if I didn't have a hydrometer.

Back