About to bottle.... Whats that citric acid blend that came w my sweet mead kit?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebux

Reaction score
O I need to use it on the melomels we parted out of the 5 gallon batch... 2 1 galloners.... And 3 straight up honey and water... What will it do? The fruit gals taste pretty good without it.... Afraid I will ruin my batch....don't wanna do that

A lot of melomels will just have that extra something on the palate once you add the acid blend. I wouldn't necessarily add it to the straight mead, but for any of the batches, you can experiment by making a solution of the dry acid in water, then adding an amount of that to a measured sample of your mead so that it has the same ratio that you would for the whole batch. This way you can see whether or not you like the results before you add to the whole batch...

I believe Schramm's book suggests a process of adding about 1/4 tsp acid blend to a finished 5 gallon batch, mixing it gently but thoroughly, then tasting and repeating until you're satisfied.

Not necessary, but it can improve the balance if it came out cloyingly sweet. If you like what you've got, I wouldn't bother with it except as an experiment.

. Bottled the melomels last night, they seemed to have developed a nice flavor on their own....stuffs only two months old and it tastEs pretty darn good. This is my first try tho so I can imagination how nice it will taste as time goes by, doubt I will be able to keep these first two gallons around long tho... Just found my new winter hobby.... Thanks for the help guys....

Back