AB-InBev to Purchase Blue Point

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkoko

Reaction score
Toasted Lager for all

http://brewyorknewyork.com/post/75692564474/anheuser-busch-to-purchase-blue-point

Long Island’s oldest and largest craft brewery will be purchased by Anheuser-Busch. Blue Point and AB announced the deal in a press release this morning. The move is somewhat unexpected, but not unprecedented given the AB’s acquisition of Goose Island back in 2011, and the company’s increasing interest in the craft beer segment, as overall beer sales decline while craft sales continue to rise. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Blue Point has grown to become the nation’s 36th largest brewer in 2012, and was on a track for continued growth in 2013, topping out at 60,000 barrels in annual production between their Patchogue facility and brewing at North American Breweries in Rochester. Their distribution footprint now extends down the eastern seaboard to Florida and as far west as Michigan. It’s not known yet whether the new owners will bolster production for Blue Point by shifting the brewing of their core beers to A-B’s Baldwinsville, New York facility, as they did for Goose Island. However, A-B does state their intentions are to “invest in the brewery to grow its operational capabilities and enhance the consumer experience.”

The deal is expected to close in the second quarter of this year.

We’ll have more details on this as they become available.

Never been a particularly big fan of their beers so

dont-care.gif

I'm a fan of the Toasted Lager, White IPA and Summer Ale from Bluepoint but those are it really and being on Long Island they're easy enough to get anyway.

I guess I'm a little saddened to see Bluepoint go the way of AB and it does raise some concern for me over whether or not this is the end of the yearly Bluepoint cask festival which is my favorite beer event on Long Island bar none.

I'm looking forward to BPBCBCBCS, myself.

Blue Point Brewing Company Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, for you n00bs.

Better that they should take over Blue Point than a brand of actual consequence and quality. Granted, AB-Inbev has been a good owner of Goose Island so far, but it doesn't mean they'll keep treating craft acquisitions well. So better that they should acquire brands who, even if they are effectively destroyed, won't really be missed.

I'm a fan of the Toasted Lager, White IPA and Summer Ale from Bluepoint but those are it really and being on Long Island they're easy enough to get anyway.

I guess I'm a little saddened to see Bluepoint go the way of AB and it does raise some concern for me over whether or not this is the end of the yearly Bluepoint cask festival which is my favorite beer event on Long Island bar none.
And you wouldn't sell for $24 million?

Back