Aaarrggghhhh! Oatmeal stout under mashing help! I'm currently mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerenstein

Reaction score
Hi, my recipe calls for a 90 minute mash at 150°, and my strike water was 165 when I poured into my preheated cooler tun. HOWEVER, I DIDN'T HEAT ENOUGH STRIKE WATER!!! had maybe 75% volume of strike water. Needless to say, my mash solidified and I quickly brought about a one and a half gallons to 175°, poured in, and QUICKLY began stirring. Temp QUICKLY dropped to 150° even, and I closed lid. I'm keeping about 15 gallons hot on standby. Gonna check it at 45min into mash and add if needed for heat... anyone have suggestions or experience with this?

My experiences with coolers in the past showed me that they loose little heat over the mash. Check it out like you said in 45 and add hot water to raise the temp if needed. I wouldnt worry too much though, you are still going to get conversion. Your beer may just attenuate more than expected.

Had to add hot water. Ran out of propane just before I started sparging... finished draining wort,went to town to swap out tank. Just got back and couldn't find a strainer... so I'll be sparging 2 cups of grain at a time! Lol

View attachment 1420936809950.jpg

Are you BIAB?

Some days brewing just fights back, and it sounds like you had one of those days. How'd it turn out into the fermenter?
By the way, sweet Spiderman scooper. Gotta be a beer name in there somewhere. Kyle

I am not sure of your processes, why you need a strainer to sparge?!? But it sound like you were not too far off. You should get a decent beer.

I have done a couple where I ran out of propane, ran out for more then proceeded. They turned out well. Maybe not as originally designed, but good in the end.

I'm not sure I understand why you are scooping grains out to sparge???

Because I started to drain the wort and my propane tank ran out of gas right before the sparge. I thought there was something else wrong with it, and while I was looking at the tank and hose, most of the wort drained out so I drained the rest out, and went to town for propane. I actually got a lot more sugars out than I usually do. The beers are fermenting happily ever after. :)

Back