A419 + Chest Freezer Safety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I have a ~9 year old chest freezer that I’m planning to use as a fermentation chamber / beer fridge. I have an A419 that I’d like to use to keep the freezer at my desired temp. I have it rigged up currently in the garage, and 24 hours in the controller is doing its job. I’m moving it from the garage to a basement storage room, and I’m not very sophisticated about electrical issues.

Anything I should be concerned about? Should it be hooked up to a GFCI?

Also, by responding to this thread, I release you from any liability. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Its plug and play. I don't use my chest freezers on a GFCI just as I don't run any other major appliance on one. That's what breakers are for that I've never tripped

Its plug and play. I don't use my chest freezers on a GFCI just as I don't run any other major appliance on one. That's what breakers are for that I've never tripped

Our house is only 5 years old, and I’ve noticed my breakers are pretty sensitive.i suppose that’s good.

As long as the GFCI outlet was wired properly there should not be any problem with or without a properly connected A419 (or any other external/add-on controller)...

Frost-Free freezers have a defrost cycle that *can* trip a GFCI. I had this problem with an upright freezer I use as a ferm chamber. I thought it might have been a weak CGFI so I replaced it but still had the problem. So, I ran a new leg with a non-GFCI outlet for my ferm chamber and haven't had any issues since.

It's worth noting that I had a smaller upright freezer that never did trip the GFCI. I didn't start having trouble until I got a bigger one for my conical. The problem could be with my upright freezer but regardless, it was a problem.

FWIW, the manual for my frost free upright freezer has this to say about the power source:
"Receptacles with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) are NOT RECOMMENDED. "

You would not be able to install that unit in my town. The code here now requires Ground Fault/Arc Fault breakers on appliances.
I consented to a major remodeling and had to have a crap load of 1970s wiring done over and a new box installed to house the longer breakers...

It is a common problem I found after researching what might be causing mine to trip the GFCI. And there's plenty of folks that seem passionate on the topic in favor of using a GFCI with these appliances. Yet, the manufacturer still does not recommend it!

I also read that I can disable the defrost timer by routing power away from it. I may do this someday but that wouldn't be practical for someone actually using it as a freezer.

For now, its on a non-GFCI circuit with no probs...

Thanks, all. It is not a frost-free freezer. I actually have two different storage rooms to choose from. Interestingly enough, there is a GFCI in one room and a non-GFCI in the other. I’ll try it in the GFCI first and see how it goes.

Back