a slew of questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am building a 3 tier gravity based brew stand, and also purchasing a bunch of equipment. (I was brewing in a downtown apartment, and I just moved into a house with a garage :rocking:) I have a bunch of questions that I will throw out to the community:

What are the dimensions on the Blichmann propane burner? I am sketching my blueprints and have struggled to find height, width, weight etc...
Is there any reason I can't use it w/o the SS legs, and put it on a slab of cement (for example)?

I am planning on using a SQ-14 for the HLT...is the paint burn off a real problem? Will it lead to excessive rusting? How serious is it to provide protection from the wind?

I think I am going with 2 15 gal Spike Kettles....anyone want to warn me against them?

In an effort to get my brewing setup, but not cost too much at once, I was going to put a bazooka screen on the BK for the hops.(yes to pellets and whole)
Will it still drain well enough, or should I use hop condoms? ( long term I am thinking hop spider)

Last (for now) but certainly not least, (as my physics is a little rusty) confirm that this will work: I can transfer fluid from a higher spigot to a lower spigot (at the assumed spigot height) and as long as both kettles have an open lid, water will transfer. I ask just to confirm that weight won't cause back flow from HLT-MT and MT-BK.

Any answers or opinions are welcomed and thanks in advance.

westwoodbrewer said:
So I am building a 3 tier gravity based brew stand, and also purchasing a bunch of equipment. (I was brewing in a downtown apartment, and I just moved into a house with a garage :rocking:) I have a bunch of questions that I will throw out to the community:

What are the dimensions on the Blichmann propane burner? I am sketching my blueprints and have struggled to find height, width, weight etc...
Is there any reason I can't use it w/o the SS legs, and put it on a slab of cement (for example)?

I am planning on using a SQ-14 for the HLT...is the paint burn off a real problem? Will it lead to excessive rusting? How serious is it to provide protection from the wind?

I think I am going with 2 15 gal Spike Kettles....anyone want to warn me against them?

In an effort to get my brewing setup, but not cost too much at once, I was going to put a bazooka screen on the BK for the hops.(yes to pellets and whole)
Will it still drain well enough, or should I use hop condoms? ( long term I am thinking hop spider)

Last (for now) but certainly not least, (as my physics is a little rusty) confirm that this will work: I can transfer fluid from a higher spigot to a lower spigot (at the assumed spigot height) and as long as both kettles have an open lid, water will transfer. I ask just to confirm that weight won't cause back flow from HLT-MT and MT-BK.

Any answers or opinions are welcomed and thanks in advance.

There is a recent post here with the dimensions from yesterday, if you can't find it try emailing, they are very responsive. You don't need the leg extensions for sure, but if you mean the stock legs, I'm pretty sure they're needed in the burner is not mounted to allow proper air flow.

IMO a bazooka is overkill for a bk, ESP if you're trying to save cash. Hop bags will be fine, and you could always upgrade latter if you still wanted to.

As long as the lowest level of the hlt is above the highest of the mt you're good.

Hope this helps!

I will of course use the stock legs. I just couldn't find an example of anyone using w/o the stand and that made me concerned.

Thanks for the response.

...and anyone else willing to chime in would be greatly appreciated! (sorry for the cheap move to put this back near the top, but I plan on pulling the trigger sooner than later, and would love to hear what others think)

Back