A Simple Garage Collar Keezer With Magnetic Drip Tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbigda

Reaction score
This is my second time building a keezer and my goal this time was to keep it very simple and plain looking. I use this to store sodas and bottled beers so getting in and out is also important.

I had a coffin keezer in my old house that did not come with me to this house. So I already had all of the kegging and serving equipment. I also already had a Ranco controller. I'm leaving a lot of those details out of this. Figured I'd just post about the exterior portion in the event someone is looking for help on a very simple build.

Frigidaire FFFC16M5QW 15.69 cu ft. $398 from Home Depot.

The collar is Azek 1x4 butt jointed and pocket screwed. I removed the existing gasket and it's hardware. I wanted to keep the plastic underside of the lid, which many know interferes with the collar mating to the lid. So I applied liquid nails between the plastic flange and the lid, and then also between the azek and the plastic flange. The collar itself is secured to the lid using coarse pocket screws that are driven directly into the sheetmetal lid. I created the pocket holes at random and the screws self-drove into the sheetmetal. I think the screws mixed with the liquid nails is probably belt and suspenders. One useful tip someone else gave me was to use the factory lid gasket to determine the size of the collar.

The plastic flange of the lid's underside creates a space that I filled with a fillet of liquid nails.

Added a new gasket to the underside of the collar. Simple Home Depot EPDM.

Next I built a magnetic drip tray. There are so many threads on here on this topic. I got the idea from several threads to use harbor freight utility magnets. They are $6 each but with a coupon I think I paid closer to $4. I used 4 of them screwed into the back of this little Azek shelf. I can safely say with confidence that this can easily hold several pints of beer. It is very challenging to move up and down without the aid of a hammer. And if I do try to slide it in place, it damages the freezer's paint. I should add that my chest freezer had a rough texture to it, which I'm sure reduced the potential for the magnet to slip.

Drilled 1" holes for the shanks, spaced 5" OC based on my drip tray length.

I ran into an issue where my tap handle interfered with the plastic handle of the freezer lid. Too late to remove it as it would require me to tear the collar off. I ended up cutting half circles out of the lid to eliminate the interference.

Last few pics below are of the finished product. I still have a lot of plumbing to do on the inside but need inspiration of beer line neatness.

Very nice. Is there a reason you wanted the collar to raise with the lid vs. affixing it to the freezer body instead?

Great clean build. All that white makes the tap handles pop. Congrats!

Very nice. Is there a reason you wanted the collar to raise with the lid vs. affixing it to the freezer body instead?

mainly because I go in and out of it for soda, bottled water, etc. so keeping the lines lifted out of the way is important. it's on casters so height to lift things in and outt is also part of it.

I like it. Very nice and clean.

Really like the collar attached the lid too. The only reason I haven't done a build like this as of yet is because i fear my for the discs in my back lifting kegs in and out the extra height. Problem solved!

hmm that link says 66mm but the actual page, and the magnets I used, are 81mm. just want to clarify that

I am looking at buying this exact same model. How many ball locks will this fit? Sorry if you said this already. I skimmed to make sure you didn't but I could've missed it

Thank you for posting, I am thinking of using this exact same freezer as well! You've given me some great ideas on how to make my project work for my (in progress) bar build! Not that I ever plan to fill to capacity (I bet that will come back to bite me), but any chance you know how many ball locks will fit in here?

Did you just move the hinge mount point down onto the collar? Any allowance for the extra weight of the lid or will you just hold it when you take things in/out?

Back