A question regarding strike water volume.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdanderson1449

Reaction score
So, I acquired a new kettle, it's huge. My wife could bathe in it, huge. I did a 5 gallon batch in it a couple of weeks ago and my single infusion strike water, around 7.5 gallons wasn't enough to cover the grain. Is there any harm in adding a little more to my strike water to cover my bag/ grain entirely and then just extending my boil to reach the correct SG? I can boil longer, I have the time.

As long as you're pre boil volume is equal to batch size + boil off rate then youll likely be fine. Just be careful about your ph, too much water could affect that, but depends on the recipe and initual water profile.

How much grain did you use? How big exactly is your pot?

My biab calculator is at the blog in my sig, if you know your boil off rate you should be able to find out your strike water volume.

My boil off rate in my old kettle was about a gallon per hour. The new kettle I haven't quite gotten it worked out yet. The last batch was my first batch in it.

I should probably run a test boil on it to help figure all that out. And I should measure the new kettle to figure out how much it realistically holds. My guess is at least twenty gallons.

Otherwise, I do have a program that I use for calculations (it's free and I'm not quite ready to spring for beersmith) and it's been dead on for my past brews. Once I get the kinks worked out of this kettle I'm sure all will be well.

I should note that I have been trying to have enough volume to accommodate grain absorption, boil off rate and desired final volume which, has worked out fine until the last batch. But, as I said earlier, learning the new equipment, I'm sure, is key.

Latest posts

Back