A question for experienced cheese makers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I just began a Colby cheese last night based on two different recipes I came across. But here's my question. One recipe suggested that I add salt to the milled curds before I pressed the cheese. The second recipe made no mention of added salt but suggested that after pressing I brine the cheese for 8 hours. Does brining enable salt to travel through the cheese or is brining only a surface procedure. In other words, if I salt the curds does that mean I should not brine the cheese? Thanks

How tight you cheese is will determine how much salt penetrates the cheese in a brine. If you did not press and your curds had spaces you can figure that the salt will penetrate further in. I have noticed that several recipes the salt asked for is to much and needs to be reduced to avoid a salty flavor. Brining is called for in some cheese to develop he rind or to control bacteria. Check Cheeseforum.org for good articles and information on cheese making. Others are, Curd Nerd, cheesescience.com, medieval cheese.com.

I agree with bonemarrow. The tighter the curd is pressed will have an impact on salt penetration. On soft cheeses the salt will penetrate more easily. Really easy to over salt feta, chevre, etc. You can salt the outside of a roll of soft cheese and it will wick it's way through the cheese. I would lean toward salting the curd for a colby, versus the brine.

Cheers,
Dan

Latest posts

Back