A NJ retread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin’&Qin’

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all..... after exactly taking off 22 years from home brewing, I jumped back into the game. The only thing I could find left from my first 5-6 years of home brewing was a 6 gallon glass carboy, so had to go order a starter kit to give this another run. Brewed my first batch a few weeks ago. Picked up a Chinook IPA 5 gallon partial grain kit from NB. Boil went well, but made a mistake by allowing much of the trub from the boil into the fermenting bucket. After one week dry hopped without moving from the primary bucket into a secondary bucket or the carboy I have. After another week fermenting seemed to stop completely so racked into bottling bucket, then bottled last weekend. Hoping to have bottles complete carbonation next week. Due to the excess sediment from the very first transfer I was cautious and only got 40 12 oz bottles this time. Ran a taste test when bottling and so far so good from a taste perspective. Assuming my early mistake will ensure a cloudy final product, but let’s see. I am not an expert with the hydrometer, first time using in more than two decades, but my amateur readings were OG= 1.050 and final of 1.100. I hope that seems about right for anyone who has brewed this kit. Can’t wait to crack that first bottle in less than two weeks now.
looking forward to learning from everyone here and hope to be able to share some of what I learn as well.
Thanks

Back