A new Holiday recipe, I would like some comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMtnBrewMaster

Reaction score
I am starting a new Holiday Ale and would like some comments on the following recipe.

Holiday Apple Cinnamon

6 lbs. Cooper's Amber Malt
2 lbs. Munton's Light Dry Malt

Combine in a fine mesh steeping bag and add at start of boil;
1 oz. Northern Brewer Hopps
2 quarts Sliced Apples
1/8 oz. Hugh Baird Chocolate Grain (milled)
1/8 oz. DWC Cara-Munich Grain (milled)

Boil for 45 min and add the following spices;
1/2 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon Nutmeg

Boil for 5-10 min, and sift through a fine stainless steel sive to remove any heavy particles.

Cool and pitch yeast;
125 ml WYEAST XL German Ale Yeast

Ferment in a 5 gal carboy

I'm going for a slightly sweet apple flavor witha hint of that Granma's old apple pie. :drunk:

Any comments?

SkyMtnBrewMaster said:
I am starting a new Holiday Ale and would like some comments on the following recipe.

Holiday Apple Cinnamon

6 lbs. Cooper's Amber Malt
2 lbs. Munton's Light Dry Malt

Combine in a fine mesh steeping bag and add at start of boil;
1 oz. Northern Brewer Hopps
2 quarts Sliced Apples
1/8 oz. Hugh Baird Chocolate Grain (milled)
1/8 oz. DWC Cara-Munich Grain (milled)

Boil for 45 min and add the following spices;
1/2 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon Nutmeg

Boil for 5-10 min, and sift through a fine stainless steel sive to remove any heavy particles.

Cool and pitch yeast;
125 ml WYEAST XL German Ale Yeast

Ferment in a 5 gal carboy

I'm going for a slightly sweet apple flavor witha hint of that Granma's old apple pie. :drunk:

Any comments?

Do not boil the grains in your wort. You'll want to just steep those for 30 minutes at 155 degrees. The apples may not deliver the flavor you want putting them in the boil. I think, better to boil them seperately and add to your secondary along with some pectin enzyme.

Also, 1/8 oz isn't going to add much in flavor. I'd up it to 2 to 4 oz of the chocolate and maybe 8 oz of the caramunich.

ScottT said:
The apples may not deliver the flavor you want putting them in the boil. I think, better to boil them seperately and add to your secondary along with some pectin enzyme.

If you remove the skin of the apples, you remove the source of pectin and shouldn't have any issues with boiling them.

-walker

ScottT: Should the steeping at 155 deg of the grain be done at the end of boil or before the boil?

The apples are peeled, cored and sliced. All fruit meat.

Are the amount of spices about right?

I'm not ScottT, but I can answer.... :)

you steep grains in the water before you boil and add extract.

-walker

Latest posts

Back