A little help w/ switching to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert1097

Reaction score
I'd like to switch over to kegging since the bottling thing is getting cumbersome and space consuming.

I already own a standard kegerator/beermeister that can accomodate a 1/2 keg of beer. I was wondering how I could go about converting this to accomodate multiple taps/barrels.

Also, can someone point me in the right direction for picking up a few corny kegs, etc?

Thanks in advance for the help.

check in the classifieds section here and on craigslist for cornys. i would recommend reading through some of the kegerator builds in the DIY forum to get some ideas about how to connect corny kegs and more taps to your fridge. so you already have the co2 tank, right? it should be a relatively easy transition. if you have a tower, you can probably add 2 more taps and have a 3 tap kegerator depending on the size of the fridge you have.

Yep, keep an eye out on craiglist for the best deals on cornys. They aren't all that common, but you might get lucky. If you're in a rush or simply can't find any used kegs locally you can always pick some up at a place like http://kegconnection.com for around $33 + shipping.

I need to get a few more kegs myself, but there hasn't been anything on craiglist in my area for a few months. Mostly people LOOKING for kegs, not selling :(

I wasn't having any luck locally, and after reading some other posts on here and checking all of the suppliers decided to go with sabco. http://www.brew-magic.com/keg_spec_bllocks.html/ A lot of the other ones I looked at either required cleaning and/or new seal kits, post, etc. The ones from sabco were the best deal as they are already cleaned, rebuilt (new seals), pressure tested, and even polished on the outside. I just ordered a four pack yesterday after researching for a couple weeks.

Oh yeah, as far as the fridge, definitely craigslist. You can find them for free often times for older working ones that you won't feel bad about drilling holes in.

Guys, thanks for the information.

The fridge that I have is already drilled w/ CO2 setup for a Sanke keg system. I was wondering how difficult it would be to switch over to a cornie system and how I would go about doing that. I would like several kegs on tap at the same time.

The corny's have a connector in & out, rather than one coupler like the sankey. There is ball lock or pin lock. Ball lock is more common. To switch, you just need to buy a corny and an in (gas) & out (beer) connector. You can get them with hose barb fittings or flare, so just get whatever your current coupler uses and put the new setup in place of your current keg. You can use the same co2 & faucet you are using now.

If you are wanting several kegs, you'll need a splitter/manifold for the CO2 and of course more faucets, corny's and couplers.

KC....thanks a bunch. Do you have any ideas about converting the single tap tower to a mutiple tower like 3+?

Give me a call sometime and I would be happy to help you get switched over to serving out of cornies... myself, cayuga (Chris), and our other friend in the area (Mark) all keg.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back