A Kegerator Adventure Unfolds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vasie

Reaction score
Now that my new fridgerator has arrived, I was able to get started constructing a kegerator! :ban: I love seeing this beauty come together. I, of course, would love to get some feedback from those of you that have put one together yourself.

So far, I have build the level platform and have prepared a door panel that will replace the molded plastic door shelves. Tomorrow, when I can get my hands on some more power tools, I will add a nice top panel surface and front panel to the platform.

Rather than posting all my pics again, you can check out all of the goodies on my brewblog.

As you can see from the pics, I am building the platform and the front panel from wood. I know that moisture can be a problem but am planning on sealing up the wood with some leftover waterproofing deck stain; it should lend a nice color to the setup as well.

What kind of materials if everyone else using? and how did you seal up the wood, if you use it?

Yesterday I was able to get my hands on some power tools and get some hardwood panels ripped. These panels will complete the platform; it looks pretty sharp now. Today, in the next few hours, I will tune into the Brewing network Sunday Session ( probably and archive) and getting the door panels secured and the shank holes drilled.

My dad has suggested that I cut some 1 - 2 inch PVC pipe and use it as a sleave around the shank through the door. The PVS would be sandwiched in the door between the doors exterier metal surface and the interier wood panel that I am installing.

He thought that the extra support would give the shank's bolts something more secure to grab on. I figure that even without the PVC, you could probably bump into the tabs without bending the exterier surface.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Another update.. getting the rubber seal to reseal is a real PITA. I figure that I am going to have find a clasping mechansim to squeeze the door shut.. ugh.. another trip to the hardware store!

vasie said:
Another update.. getting the rubber seal to reseal is a real PITA. I figure that I am going to have find a clasping mechansim to squeeze the door shut.. ugh.. another trip to the hardware store!

If you are looking for a cheap latch that is easy to install, take a look at the plastic safety locks they sell to keep small children out of the fridge. It is basically just a short strap with a buckle that fastens to the fridge door and side with doubled sided foam tape. My old fermentation fridge door is a little bent and doesn't seal right. One of these solved the problem for me. Only about $3.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

The design looks pretty sharp and has given me an idea when I get another fridge for lagering.

Your main shelving looks like overkill with the 2x4. I think 2x2s will work just as well.

You have 1 shelf. For my design I will be dropping the front shelf down about 4" or so. This will allow access to the quick disconnects on the kegs in the back.

Other than that. I think you did a great job. Sorry about the door sealer (magnet I presume...). What went wrong?

I don't believe its a magnet; I didn't feel any sold surfaces when cleaning the seal. In any case, I am happy to report and when I trimmed that puppy down 1/4 inch, it now seats well.. In fact, I can just position the panel + rubber seal in the door opening and it will hold itself up independent of the door. See the new pics on my brewblog. I am really liking the color of those panels.. The floor shelf color is going to match.

As for the overkill construction. Yep. I had a bunch of left over studs from some home construction. I would have built a two step system--that was the orginal idea, but construction was significantly simplified this way.

OK.. of course, it is magnetically sealed. It turns out that getting it to seal independent of the door doesn't mean that it is going to seal nicely attached to the door. It still took more than an hour of tweaking to get something working OK.

In any case, I now have the holes drilled through the door and the shanks in place. Looks like that is about it for this project. I might attempt to beautify it a little bit, but function over form!

I turned the unit back on about an hour ago. The temperature is coming down slowly. It can't wait to get some kegs in there.

Back