a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
Ok so I have a few questions.

What is the Pros and Cons of brewing with LME and DME?

What is the difference between extract and all grain brewing?

What is the trick to being patient? all i want to do is crack my fermentator open and drink it all down

1. I honestly don't know the advantage to LME other than it seems to come in more varieties than DME. DME stores better, you can use the amount you want and easily save the remaining for later use, and it doesn't scorch as easily as LME.

2. One uses extract to get the bulk of the sugar and the other doesn't. With all grain, you do ALL the mashing. Extract has already done most of it for you and given you a nice concentrated version of the wort. Advantage to all grain is that you get a lot more control to the flavor. Extract is easier as you are basically having a step in the process done for you. It's kinda like asking what the difference is between making a pizza with a pre-made dough and making a pizza with flour and yeast.

3. Have enough beer around to drink instead of what is in the fermenter?

The only trick to leaving your primary alone is to have stuff in the pipeline. You just have to learn to leave it alone and trust that it's doing what it's supposed to.

Learn to make starters and pitch the correct amount of yeast then let it alone for 2-4 weeks. That and proper cleaning and sanitization are key to a happy beer. DME/LME all really the same just DME is easier to store but LME is easier to dissolve and such they are not equal in strength so you will have to adjust your recipe if it calls for DME and you use LME. Many brewing programs can help you with that. As for all grain learn extract brewing then step it up to a mini mash and work your way up to full grain if you want. You must remember all grain requires more time, initial $$ for equipment and space.

Back