A few questions as I upsize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
I am moving from a gravity cooler set up to a 15-20 gallon set-up. I have a 30g boilermaker, 2x 20 gallon pots, a RIMS (on the way) and one march pump. My questions:

I found a cheap false bottom, but it doesn't have a silicon band/edge. Anyone have any issues with these not sealing and having excessive grain flow through RIMS or lines clogging? I ask because I had planned on using the 240V RIMS at 120V (1/4 power), but I had planned on using one of the solar pump (because I already have it) - I am worried that a clogged line could lead to a scorched wort.

I have 2x 32 jet natural gas jet burners on the way, I can't find any reference to ideal spacing between the burners and the bottom of the pots - any suggestions?

I also grabbed a chillzilla (it was cheap) - haven't tried it yet, with groundwater between 55 and 60 degrees F, will this be sufficient to take wort to temperature or do you think I should recirc through an ice bath (I have an extra high flow pond pump or two). I am aware recirc saves water, but usually use the outflow to water the raspberries.. :)

I still haven't sorted plumbing, but I know there are lots of threads on that - am trying to avoid buying another march pump... for now...

I also grabbed a chillzilla (it was cheap) - haven't tried it yet, with groundwater between 55 and 60 degrees F, will this be sufficient to take wort to temperature or do you think I should recirc through an ice bath (I have an extra high flow pond pump or two). I am aware recirc saves water, but usually use the outflow to water the raspberries.. :)

55F-60F will be sufficient. Ground water temperatures will get a lot higher during the summer months. That's when I use an ice batch.

After May, I run straight tap water to chill the wort down to <90F, then use my old immersion chiller in an ice bath to pre-cool the water to take the temperature down to the high 60s-low 70s.

It works pretty well.

One of my friends has a 20 gallon electric 3 kettle system and uses a 12" domed false bottom in his RIMS (or more accurately, eHERMS) powered mash kettle. We team brewed on it and it worked fine, just be careful not to lift or knock it with the mash paddle. He has no silicone seal around the edge, lies flat on the bottom. His eHERMS coil is 5-6" diameter and short, 1/2" SS tubing, and 1/2" hoses, using a regular Chugger or March pump. No clogging.

Thanks for the feedback - that helps!
According to a plumber friend, Calgary has some of the coldest groundwater around, so i will try the direct approach with the chillzilla, not too much risk anyway.
Re the false bottom, that's good to know, my local supplier cautioned me which was why I asked. But the chugger and 1/2 is a lot more diameter than I was originally planning - but, i can always use the march pump and just move it around until i can stomach another $300 for another pump - they are expensive here...

I found a cheap false bottom, but it doesn't have a silicon band/edge. Anyone have any issues with these not sealing and having excessive grain flow through RIMS or lines clogging?

I'm using the inexpensive sanke false bottom from BargainFittings with no edge gasket. I've only used it once so far, but didn't experience any issues with my pickup tube or pump clogging. Once the grain bed sets, there shouldn't be much of an issue, if any. I did apply a bit of direct fire to raise the mash temp a bit after my strike, and didn't notice any flavors attributed to scorched wort.

Back