A different type of fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinich

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using pie filling as flavoring for a mead.
Our next experiment is:
12 pounds honey
2 pounds corn sugar
water to five gallons
yeast

Primary Ferment in five gallon carboy

rack into five one gallon secondaries containing
20 oz Cherry pie filling
20 oz Blueberry pie filling
20 oz Apple pie filling
20 oz peach pie filling
20 oz pumpkin pie filling

What's left will go into a sixth gallon jug with one pound of honey

Sound good to anyone??

I typically don't like to mix sugar with my meads, and that's what's kept me from trying pie fillings. I guess that's just a particular hangup of mine sine one could argue that fruit and juices also contain sugar. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Be sure to use pectic enzyme.

I looked at a can of cherry pie filling. Corn syrup was the main ingredient (even listed before cherries!) and it also had sugar and modifies corn starch. It had preservatives and a thickening agent as well. None of these are good in a mead. Why not buy a half dozen different bags of frozen fruit at the supermarket instead? If you do want to do pie fillings, I'd look for "no added sugar" and "no preservatives".

Also, why use two pounds of corn sugar? Why not use 14 pounds of honey?

12 lbs honey approx = 1 gallon.
I wouldn't bother with the extra sugar.

Thanks for the feedback.
We're adding the Corn sugar to increase the overall ABV.
We're using the pie filling in the secondary to add sweetness with flavor, and possibly additional fermentation, thereby increasing ABV.

The goal here is to get a high ABV with a real sweet flavor

Doug

I just brewed up a cider with apple juice concentrate, honey, orange peel, cinnamon and clove, pre-spiced pumpkin pie mix and spiced apple pie mix. I haven't tasted it yet, but it smells delicious. I think it's an easy way to add a lot of flavor. Go for it!

Back