A Couple of New Guy Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
Just put my first ever batch of mead in the fermentor. I'm only making a gallon, and I think I used more water than I should have (had too much to fit in my 1-gal jug!). OG was about 1.073 @ 80 deg F. Is this typical for most meads. I would have thought closer to 1.100 would be the target gravity. I used a single 44 fl oz jar of honey, which weight about 2 3/4 lbs (minus the jar weight).

Also, I've seen mention of leaving it in a dark place to ferment. Is there any reason for this? I understand with beer the light can react with the hop leaves... but what about honey?

Thanks!

bobbyc, meads are wild and wonderful things, and as honeys vary dependants on season, source and age, so will your SG. You may have added too much water, but you didn't start with a whole lot of honey, either. I prefer to use older honey, so that less of its weight is water (crystalized). You may need a full 3 lbs of honey to give you a OG of 1.100. I make a lot of 1 gal batches when working out new recipes.

As to the amount of light, its not an issue, unless you decide to add hops to your brew.

:mug:

I'm sure it will still be delicious when it's done! I was mostly trying to get an idea of a "typical" starting gravity. I'm sure they vary, but what would you consider average?

1.07 ish at 1kg honey per gallon, 1.1 ish at 3lbs to the gallon, and 1.17ish at 4lbs to the gallon is what I average.

Latest posts

Back