$99 PET Conical up to 35 PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I know there are some Northern Brewer haters on HBT, but I received an email from them about a new plastic conical that will hold pressure, it looks somewhat interesting:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/fermentasaurus-snub-nose-conical-fermenter ?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Fermentasaurus+Snub+Nose+Conical+Fermenter&utm_content=Brew+&+Serve+with+the+Snub+Nose+Fermentasaurus&utm_campaign=20190611+-++Snub+Nose+Fermenter+Content+Email&_bta_tid=16972073595476440760523534548846704924979655493067292713016413810161279227975906282093727177463326344195
42910-Fermentasaurus-Snub-Nose-Conical-Fermentor-Pressure-View_x700.jpg

I was going to rig up an extra keg to ferment in and do closed transfers for IPAs, now this has me thinking....
I didn't see any size on it and if it won't fit in my chest freezer I'm not buying it.
Anyone getting one?

I know there are some Northern Brewer haters on HBT, but I received an email from them about a new plastic conical that will hold pressure, it looks somewhat interesting:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/fermentasaurus-snub-nose-conical-fermenter ?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Fermentasaurus+Snub+Nose+Conical+Fermenter&utm_content=Brew+&+Serve+with+the+Snub+Nose+Fermentasaurus&utm_campaign=20190611+-++Snub+Nose+Fermenter+Content+Email&_bta_tid=16972073595476440760523534548846704924979655493067292713016413810161279227975906282093727177463326344195
42910-Fermentasaurus-Snub-Nose-Conical-Fermentor-Pressure-View_x700.jpg

I was going to rig up an extra keg to ferment in and do closed transfers for IPAs, now this has me thinking....
I didn't see any size on it and if it won't fit in my chest freezer I'm not buying it.
Anyone getting one?

It says it fits inside a Keg Master Series 4 Kegerator

Internal Dimensions of a series 4:
-20" wide
-16.25" deep (13.25" deep on compressor side)
-28" tall (24" clearance under glass rack)

Those are from keg king out of Aus. Good chance more beer or Williams will carry that model.

Probably a silly question but how do you pick it up with 9.25 gallons of beer in it? I don't see a convenient handle.

It's just the standard Frementasaurus without the bottom dump valve and a the stand upside down. It they want to get really compact they'll do the same thing with their 7 gal fermentor too.

An Aussie homebrewer forum says 665mm by 378mm. Lump42 is right, they just inverted the stand and reattached the handles on top. Some are adding the racking arm offered by SS Brewtech and others. Not sure why, the point is using the float/draw tube attached to the post/disconnect for transfering under pressure? Most over there are just whining about the lack of a dump valve for trub/yeast. I use BMB's without a dump valve...leave enough beer to swirl up the trub/yeast and pour to mason jars and refridgerate! They sell just the FV down under for AUD 40. Carry on!

Having looked for 9-10 gallon versions of something like the BMB or Fermonsters I keep coming back to this Fermenter. It offers clear viewing of the trub line so I can keep that out of my keg. I can do a closed pressure transfer to keg with the gravity technique no longer necessary, and when I’m ready to try carbonating in this, transfer half to keg with a jumper and bottle the rest with a BMBF! The price is right for the size and material. I don’t have any desire to dance around with the constant troubles described with a valve and trub/yeast catcher, so that’s eliminated. If it fits a full size fridge with that dam compressor hump I may pick one of these up?

The material looks to be promising for future products. Imho the Corny keg needs a re-design and making it a dual fermenter/serving vessel would be a good thing. But, one needs a yeast dump if you want to keep the beer in one vessel.

The material looks to be promising for future products. Imho the Corny keg needs a re-design and making it a dual fermenter/serving vessel would be a good thing. But, one needs a yeast dump if you want to keep the beer in one vessel.

It has been already. 7 gal unitank conicals are the redesign. You can control the temps, dump the yeast, carbonate, and serve from them.

True but at close to $1,000 for the Ss Brewtechs I would not really think of this product as a normal homebrew attainable alternative. If they can make something that is smaller to fit in more fridges and costs a lot less I think it would be a win. $99 for this 9 gal thing is close to the cost of a corny.

I just pre ordered one, hoping it fits in my chest freezer so I can rack my wort right into it and pressure transfer directly to the keg right in my keezer once fermentation is complete. Hope It fits!

26" x 15".....per an Aussie home brew site who already have them. I dont know if that includes an airlock, ball lock posts, QD's, or the stand carlk47? Did they give you a time frame on delivery Carl?

26" x 15".....per an Aussie home brew site who already have them. I dont know if that includes an airlock, ball lock posts, QD's, or the stand carlk47? Did they give you a time frame on delivery Carl?

Just got the shipping notice this morning! I was surprised as I thought it would be a while due to it being a pre order

My chest freezer fermentation chamber is essentially 15.5x15.5x28 so hoping everything fits including a ball lock disconnect for a blowoff tube

Time will tell once I get it

True but at close to $1,000 for the Ss Brewtechs I would not really think of this product as a normal homebrew attainable alternative. If they can make something that is smaller to fit in more fridges and costs a lot less I think it would be a win. $99 for this 9 gal thing is close to the cost of a corny.
So more along Blichmann Cornical, $399.
https://www.blichmannengineering.com/cornical.html

Looks great! How was the packaging? How tight was the fit of the draw tube on the cap post tube? Did you move the handles to the top or were they there already?

Last edited:
Looks great! How was the packaging? How tight was the fit of the draw tube on the cap post tube? Did you move the handles to the top or were they there already?

All was good! The snub nose box was packed inside a larger brown box from NB. The whole thing weighs less than 10 lbs so probably got tossed around by UPS plenty but seems all good to me. The silicone draw tube is easy enough to slide off the post with a little work but not so easy that it’ll fall off on its own. The handles were already mounted on the top [emoji106]

Last edited:
Sweet, I just got mine in the mail - haven’t assembled it all but I’m impressed so far. Mine didn’t come with handles mounted on the top ring of the stand so I’ll have to move them up. I assume that all of these parts are identical to the first generation of the fermentasaurus but simply in a different configuration. I’m looking at it as the same as fermenting in an oversized corny with floating dip tube - exactly what I wanted.

Looking good carl. We'll see how the full evolution goes with pressure transfer and all. I'm still debating if its something i need? Look forward to both of you giving a review. Carry on.

Last edited:
I’m highly considering the fermzilla as well. Any comments on the durability of the plastic? It looks really thin. Is the PET plastic really easy to scratch?

What is everyone's thoughts on the Fermentarurus? I'm thinking about getting one. I bit larger than what I need (size wise) but will work. Just need to make sure it will fit in my ferm chamber.

Another question. Has anyone carbonated in the fermenter and transferred to a keg once the beer is fully carbed? If so, any problems with foaming during the transfer?

So what are actual dimensions?... wondering if this will fit my fridge.

So what are actual dimensions?... wondering if this will fit my fridge.

Northern Brewer was supposed to post the dims on their site. They provided the measurements based on the conical with the dump valve. The width would be the same but you would need to deduct some for the height.
I have a 5 CF chest freezer and I don't think the width from wall to compressor hump will be wide enough.
I actually ordered the Fermzilla today. It's smaller and not as wide but I think I will need to add a collar on my chest freezer to accommodate the height.
I'll post the dims when I get home.

Looks good carl. At this point im happy with gravity transfers with elevated BMB's and return Co2 from the keg back to the fermenter. Pressure transfers and carbonating in this is just more than i need right now or maybe ever? If they ever come out with a 9-10 gallon BMB im on that! Good luck and carry on!

I thought I’d update to say that I’ve put 3 batches through my snub nose fermenter and think it’s terrific. What I like:
  • I can do a larger batch size I’ve been doing 28l of which 19l goes into a keg and roughly 7-8l gets bottled
  • The conical really compacts the yeast and trub, I actually lose less volume to trub than with a flat carboy
  • I can hook a serving keg keg up to the gas ball lock during fermentation to purge it. At 28l I don’t think I could ever get a blow off
  • After fermentation I push the beer into the keg with co2. No lifting means no disturbing the yeast and a nice clear transfer.
  • With a ball lock to hose barb adapter I can hook up a bottling wand and continue to push the remaining beer into bottles and simply bottle prime with a pre measured water sugar mix
  • The floating dip tube has worked perfectly so far, transferring nice clear beer after a 2 week primary. I fill the keg first so the clearest beer makes it into the keg. Very little beer is left over which surprised me.

Attachments

• 9B81C99D-1A25-433D-9238-FC2F676F6507.jpeg
    9B81C99D-1A25-433D-9238-FC2F676F6507.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
  • 11296AF6-42F3-4ADA-A936-05FA52FA269C.jpeg
    11296AF6-42F3-4ADA-A936-05FA52FA269C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
  • DF4EBC55-E534-4B4D-AB53-8FE83B85E893.jpeg
    DF4EBC55-E534-4B4D-AB53-8FE83B85E893.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 158

Latest posts

Back