8qt pot big enough for 1 gallon BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivalavince

Reaction score
Will an 8qt pot be big enough for a 1 gallon BIAB? Also taking in account I'll be brewing high gravity beers.

Can I mash with 3-4qts, lift the bag onto a strainer, and sparge with top up water to achieve my preboil volume?

I would say Probably (really depends on just how big your mash is), and Yes. And/or dunk sparge your bag in another pot/bucket/container.
Personally, I'd go bigger, but if I had the 2 gallon pot all ready, I'd take it for a spin.

You might have to figure out a way to get your strainer a little higher off the kettle, It will work fine though. As far as I see, If your pot is twice the size of your batch you'll be fine. I do 2.5gal in a 5 gallon pot. I recently pulled off a 11.5% Imp. stout. During the mash It was right up to the brim but it worked out fine. You may have to watch your boil like a hawk at first but, I think thats pretty normal.

Latest posts

Back