8 oz Maltodextrin???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
Brewing my Pliny the Elder clone from MB tomorrow and everything on the ingredients list and the instructions make no mention of maltodextrin, but the kit came with 3 4 oz packs of this.

I contacted them and they said add 2 of the packs at the 60 min mark. Seems like 8 oz is a lot. Any thoughts?

Pliny has a high alcohol content, I did the AG version of this, my understanding is that this is extra sugar to boost ABV

Maltodextrin contributes to mouthfeel but it isn't fermentable. It still adds to your gravity, though I'm not really sure how much.

Maltodextrin is just for body/mouthfeel. It adds a certain creaminess imo. And it's only 5% fermentable,max.

Brewed the extract version myself several times... I keep it on hand (I keg) as my house draft; really tasty stuff... Even for an extract! ANYhoo, there are only two (Lest a mistake was made) malto packs (Add both during the boil when you add the extract) and the other should be the corn sugar for bottling. I keg so I just added the corn sugar to the boil. Make sure you ferment this one between 60F and 70F so you don't get that harsh alcohol ping.

Cheers Mate,

-JM

Back