64oz growlers - ever bottle fresh beer in them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboardman

Reaction score
If so, how long can you expect the seal to last?

I'm not talking about getting a growler from a local Brewery or Tap House. I'm referring to using or reusing these Growlers with the metal screw on lids to bottle with.

Anyone do this yet?

This gets asked probably daily... Here, read this.... You'll have to decide if the risk is worth it or not.

If you're looking for a SAFER, cheap large volume option for bottling beer, then use plastic soda bottles, nowdays you can find them in all sizes from minis to 3 liters.... and you can usually either grab them out of the garbage, recycling or just screw the deposit depending on where you live.

A 2 liter soda bottle is 67ounces.

Here is what Northern Brewer (BrewingTV) posted LAST WEEK:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do this all the time using a counter pressure filler that's just a racking cane and a #6 drilled stopper fitted into a cobra tap. Works great and as long as you cap on foam it lasts a couple weeks or more. Make sure the caps have that spongy silicone-ish seal underneath; some have plastic lined paper which gets nasty fast.

Also I always keep them cold, so there's never over pressure that might cause the growler to fail.

I've bottled homebrew in growlers off and on since I started. I've only had one blowout, and that was a hefeweizen, bottled into what I later realized was a much thinner glass one. I held an identical one against the rest that I have, and it was significantly lighter and thinner glass.
I have never had any problem with holding carb or oxidation, at least not noticeably different from the traditionally bottled beers. I've kept them for over a year with no issues whatsoever.
I know a lot of people here and on other forums have had issues, but I have not.

I bottled in growers until I had two break on my counter while I was at work..after that I started conditioning bottles in the bath tub. And I started kegging. Like what everyone else says, not the safest thing.

I do this all the time using a counter pressure filler that's just a racking cane and a #6 drilled stopper fitted into a cobra tap. Works great and as long as you cap on foam it lasts a couple weeks or more. Make sure the caps have that spongy silicone-ish seal underneath; some have plastic lined paper which gets nasty fast.

Also I always keep them cold, so there's never over pressure that might cause the growler to fail.

But you're talking about bottling kegged and already carbonated beer in it, that's not an issue... Most of the people who are asking about this are asking if they can CARBONATE a beer in it, ie. add sugar and let the yeast do their thing...there's a BIG difference, that many people don't for some reason seem to grasp... Carbonated and Carbonating beer are two different things....one of them already has the pressure built up and equalized, and one of them is going to build up pressure in the growler, THEN equalize.... and that's where the concern is, the whether the growler can handle the buildup of pressure.

Why not find some magnum bottles? I've kept the ones Sierra Nevada sells their Christmas brews in. The bottles are about 50 ounces. So six of them is like one case.

But you're talking about bottling kegged and already carbonated beer in it, that's not an issue... Most of the people who are asking about this are asking if they can CARBONATE a beer in it, ie. add sugar and let the yeast do their thing...there's a BIG difference, that many people don't for some reason seem to grasp... Carbonated and Carbonating beer are two different things....one of them already has the pressure built up and equalized, and one of them is going to build up pressure in the growler, THEN equalize.... and that's where the concern is, the whether the growler can handle the buildup of pressure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...535562?hash=item35fd65370a:g:~K8AAOSwAuNW7yno

Would this work Revvy

Back