60 minute, Whirlpool, and Dry hop only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aotidae

Reaction score
I am planning to brew my first IPA from my own formulation. I am keeping the grain bill simple, and doing only marris otter. For the hops, I was thinking of doing a Magnum 60 minute addition, whirlpooling (170 F) cascade and citra, and dry hopping citra. Does this sound like a good hop schedule, or should I do a late addition as well?

This sounds good to me. I'm a big fan of whirlpool hop additions whenever I do it, that replaces the late addition. For that big flavor punch you'd want to make sure you're adding in a substantial amount at whirlpool and dry hop.

sounds good to me too. I usually like a small 10min addition too but I get the majority of my hop character from whirlpool addition of 8oz or more. you really cant overdo it IME

If I add 6-8 oz whirlpool, what should I do for dry hopping? I had planned to do 2 oz, but that was with the mindset of a smaller whirlpool addition.

What are your thoughts on ounces for dry hop vs whirlpool? I was thinking half the amount of what I whirlpool in the dry hop addition.

That should work. I like to thief a sample before dryhopping to gauge how much to add, but that should be quite tasty. I usually dry hop for 4-5 days.

I just did a similar recipe, warrior for my bittering, and citra/cascade for my late hop addition, whirlpool and dry hop. In hindsight and after the opinions of others here, I should have just skipped the late additions and done the whirlpool and dry hop (in addition to upping my hop amounts). I was hoping for more hop flavor.

Alright😊 thanks for all if the input everyone.

That's pretty much what I did for my last IPA, and I plan on doing the same for my next IPA.

My schedule was:
1 oz of bittering hops at 60
After the 60 minute boil, drop the temp to 200 and add 2 oz of hops. After 30 minutes, drop to 170 and add 2 more oz. after 30 more minutes, complete chill. Then dry hop with 1 more oz.

it really worked great. It added a full hour to a brew day but it was worth it.

I was originally planning on 2 oz magnum at 60 min, 2oz citra and 2 oz cascade at 170F, and 2oz citra 5 days before kegging; but now I am not sure if this will be enough hop character. I am aiming for around 60 IBU's, but I am up for any input. Mashing at 150 for 90 minutes constant circulation.

id add some dry hops to the keg as well

but you could easily double the whirlpool addition if you want a pungent juicy hop cahracter. Id estimate I get about half my bitterness from my whirlpool. Last one I did 1oz at 60min, 1 oz at 10min, 6oz at flameout, and 6 more after 30min into the hopstand. It turned out a teensy bit more bitter than I would have liked, so Ill probably start moving my 60min to 30min for next time and just not have a 60min addition.

Yep. There's an article somewhere on HBT (or maybe it was BYO or Zymurgy) describing some experiments done by pro Brewers re different temps for the hop stand and different things happen at different temps. extraction still occurs at 170.

You may get some, but you won't get much bittering. At that temp you're mostly extracting flavor. This is why a lot of folks (myself included) keep that whirlpool going or let their hops steep in the warm wort before they chill.

I even do this with non-hoppy beers like ambers, browns or pilsners. It's such a great way to get flavor without the bitter punch in the face aspect of early additions.

At hopstand temps, you will get some bitterness, more at flameout than 170F, but even the bitterness you do get is very "soft". I use a ton of hops in hopstands for my IPAs and give them to people that "dont like IPAs" without telling them what it is and Ive never gotten any complaints

I need to start growing hops so that I can afford all of the hop experiments I want to do haha.

What I learned from this whole thing was that I think I prefer whirlpooling at 167 over dry hopping when it comes to amounts higher than 1 oz. I think it is also good to do a 5-minute addition or a flameout addition as well as the whirlpool additions. I have done three batches since this original post and though I am still playing around, I think that whirlpooling results with more stable hops presence over dry hopping. Plus dry hopping makes the beer super cloudy and can be a pain to get out of glass carboys.

Back