60% Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac MacFarlane

Reaction score
I did my fist BIAB yesterday, I ended up with a gravity reading after the boil of 1.042 instead of around 1.05.
10lbs of crushed Grains
Brought my mash water to 160f added my grains it only brought the water to 158f. I waited until the water dropped 156f put lid on and wrapped in a sleeping bag for 60min after 60min the water was150f.
Pulled the bag out hung it up and let it drain and squeeze it.
Boiled for 60min adding hops at the appointed times.
When adding the grains I didn't stir very hard just made sure there no dough balls.

Most like a crush problem. If you’re serious about continuing with AG brewing whether it be BIAB or multi-vessel, buying your own mill will be a wise investment.

Like the experts have already posted your crush is likely the main culprit wrt low efficiency.

Other smaller factors imo include making sure you eliminate dough balls in your mash mixture via thorough mixing and making sure you get as much sugar out of the mashed grains as you can via a long bag hang over the pot and/or squeezing the bag and/or some type of sparge.

Back